Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck does not make the power it should

609 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  five0merc 
#1 ·
I've got a 2002 7.3 truck. It came from California. I have a ts 6 position chip right now and it does not make the power it should. Have a buddy that has a similar setup and he has more power. I'm at a loss can't figure out what the deal is. Is there a somthing with the California part that makes them different then the regular ones? It's does not even blow much smoke. Not that I want it to anyway. It almost seems if it is defueling itself. Only making about 15 pounds of boost also. Looking for any information that might help.

#2 ·
Is the chip programmed correctly for your pcm code?

15 psi is low for a tuned truck. Should be 25-30 psi with basic mods.

Could be a number of things

Check fuel pressure and hpo oil output.

Check for boost leaks.

Make sure ebpv is hooked up correctly

It shouldn't defuel until 23 psi

#3 ·
yes the chip is programmed for the correct pcm code. well thats the way i ordered it anyway. that is what i thought about boost but even for a simple chip like the ts 6 position it will gain that much boost? im more framilar with making power out of mechanical engines. seems way simpler and less of a headache!! i scanned the code that popped up today and it showed that the ipr sensor is not working as it should. so i will try that tomorrow. so i will need a boost fooler if it builds more than 23 pounds? would grounding out the map sensor do the same?

#4 ·
I was having a low boost problem similar to you and put all new boots on my truck and now I have no problem hitting 25-30 psi. And I know the old boots were tight because I had just rebuilt the turbo not too long ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.