Headlight upgrade and fogs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight upgrade and fogs

I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my lights to the 05 or do the 07 harley H. lights. What all do I need for the upgrade? I would like to do the harley lights if it is not to to difficult. Ebay has them with a adapter plug for like 160. Are the bulbs no longer 9007? Why do I need the adapter? Also my 00 does not have fog lights can I install factory fog lights and is the wirring harness fog light ready, and just does not have the lights installed? What mods to the truck are needed for all this? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM

I beleive the lights for the 05 are H13's (9008)
Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 AM

I converted my truck a few months ago... got the lights off Ebay, they are aftermarket, and with shipping they were about $210. I got the relay conversion harnes from GOS Racing, it was $69 shipped... the install was reasonably easy. It does take some trimming of the 'header' panel behind the headlights, for me it was easiest to completly remove it and do the trimming off the truck, but I would think it could be done in place. I have a brush guard on mine, and couldn't do it in place. There are pictures/drawings on this site with lines as to where to cut the header panel. Once this is done, there's no going back to the old lights. The lights and harness install was pritty straight forward, plug and play type stuff. The GOS harness is well made, has the relays, and feeds directly off the battery with a fusable link built in.

The new lights are much brighter than the old foggy stock 2000 ones that came out. I painted my stock grill black, and with the lights, I love how it looks. Now I just need to make a deer killer bumper to go with it, my stock one is too much chrome!

Sorry can't help on the fog light issue. I was wondering about it my self, the headlight switch has the "pull out" option for fogs, sure would be nice if it was as simple as just hooking up the wires under the bumper!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I have done all the new light versions, when the clear 03's came out I switched to them and then finally to the 05 style. Don't use the pigtail adaptors, they will melt your housings, use the harness with the relays from Gos or Dfuser.com. The 05's require some hacking of the header panel, the 03's bolt right in. There was a huge difference from going from the 00 to the clear 03's, not as much going from the 03's to the 05's. With so many 03 owners going to the 05 style you can pick up a factory set cheap. If I had to do it again I would just go with the 03's. Good luck, and I always advise getting the real factory lights these aftermarket lights are hit and miss on quality.

NCH
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 AM

my truck is black so I was wanting the harley ones but would also like thefogs.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I have done all the new light versions, when the clear 03's came out I switched to them and then finally to the 05 style. Don't use the pigtail adaptors, they will melt your housings, use the harness with the relays from Gos or Dfuser.com. The 05's require some hacking of the header panel, the 03's bolt right in. There was a huge difference from going from the 00 to the clear 03's, not as much going from the 03's to the 05's. With so many 03 owners going to the 05 style you can pick up a factory set cheap. If I had to do it again I would just go with the 03's. Good luck, and I always advise getting the real factory lights these aftermarket lights are hit and miss on quality.

NCH
what you mean on melting the housings? And just curious why does it do it? thanks bud
Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The H13 is quite possibly the stupidest design for a bulb ever foisted on the public. The terminals are so small that they overheat, even at stock wattages, and melt the plastic housing of the connectors. Higher than stock wattage bulbs are offered, but not recommended. There are Chinese connectors that are being used to make these kits and no harness will fix the problem of to small of terminals. As of now no USA made plugs are made that I have seen and wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

You have the best headlight housings made now and the addition of Hellas harness and a set of their 80/100w 4k kelvin bulbs will give you fantastic lighting.

You can also do a fog bulb upgrade..75% as bright as Hids and mod the switch to use them with your high beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.