Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rusty Up pipe to Manifold Bolts

10K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  MNguy 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I've finally decided to sign up to Powerstroke.org (I've read many threads for help) and I must say this is a great place to share info! Anyways, I recently purchased a new to me 2002 F-250 XLT with 99,000 miles. After putting on a few miles, I've decided to tackle the dreaded up pipes due to an obvious leak (black soot & low power). I bought the bellowed uppipes from Riffraff as well as some turbo o-rings, etc. Removal of turbo wasn't bad, until I got to the uppipes. The bolts from the manifold to the uppipes were so rusted I couldn't get any socket on them. I spent several hours managing to get one bolt out on the driver side with some vise grips and a small hammer. I've had these bolts soaking in PB blaster for a week. I have one more bolt on the driver side and both stuck on the passenger side. I took off the passenger side wheel well and there is more room to get in that way. I've tried PB blaster, a hammer and punch, and I also tried a propane torch to try to heat it up.

What are your tips and tricks to how you guys/gals accomplished this frustrating task? Any recommendations for my situation?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

#2 ·
Tighten them tell they break. You can try to cut them also.

#3 ·
I had the tranny out when I did mine and it was still a pain. I had to loosen the bolts until they broke and then I still had a piece stuck in each of the passenger side holes. I finally had to heat it up with a torch and hammer them out with a chisel. An air hammer would also work great if you could get it in there. On the passenger side getting the downpipe out of the way helps a lot.

#4 ·
I think that may be the first time I have heard anyone say to tighten something until it broke. In this situation I think may be a good idea though.

#5 ·
Thanks guys,

It has definitely been a real pain. I cut one bolt flush and tried hitting it with a punch many, many times while constantly applying PB blaster and heat here and there. These bolts are STUCK!

What are your thoughts about drilling the bolts out? They are just a thru hole on the manifold, no threads to worry about damaging.

#6 ·
Drill away. If you can get a drill in there. Try and cut the bolt between the manifold and the flange.

#7 ·
^^^ I second that, I works great, 1 full turn and ]WALLA{ saw zaw work's, just as well

#8 ·
Heat it up around the bolts with a torch and hammer them out with a chisel or air hammer.

#9 ·
For especially crusty rusty jobs, get yourself a can of AEROKROIL. Its the best penetrating oil around. It made easy work of my super rust manifold bolts when i did my up pipes. I use PB for most things, but aerokroil for crappy jobs

#10 ·
That's good to know I've never used Aerokroil much because I thought it was about the same as pb blaster.

#11 ·
Kroil is a little better than pb blaster.

if I have to take stuff apart I use pb blaster several times a day for a few days. Everything comes right apart after that.

#12 ·
They're just through bolts with a nut. Torch the stupid things off, chisel the head or nut off, tighten until it breaks....whatever works. Penetrating oil of any type is a waste when the fastener is easily and cheaply replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.