Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

kph to mph

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jj1 
#1 ·
Hi guys ,2002 f250 superduty 7.3, dash is kph can I swap out to mph,with no hassle other than the swap. will a 03/04 dash fit an 02. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Cool question. I have no idea. So I'll guess.

Both the 03/04 and your KPH 02 should be electronic odometer and therefore compatible. Whether the calibration is the same or not, I have no idea. I suspect it will be, because the calibration for "speed" (VSS) is done in the ABS module which is then sent to the cluster, ECM, and VSM/GEM. So what is good for the ABS, etc should be good for either cluster.

I recently read on here that Auto Ingenuity allows calibration changes in VSS if you need to change the calibration.

If you go ahead with the swap, I would be interested in hearing back whether the new cluster required changes or not.

EDIT / ADD: I had another thought regarding the proposed swap.
There may be other differences in the clusters that will require wiring changes. I think there's some differences in indicator lights required by Export requirements from North America requirements. If you obtain a replacement cluster, try to get the pigtail connector with it. Compare the wire colors between the connectors on the new cluster and your truck. Investigate and resolve any differences.

#4 ·
There are some complete clusters on eBay that are from 03/ 04 trucks that look the same layout wise and I was concerned that the plugs may be different, they probably are the same but that was my concern .I will pull it out and see if there is any information on it that will give me any clues. If I do it I will post up how it went.

#7 · (Edited)
if you hold down the odometer button it will show the speed in both mph and kph....
Mustangworld HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics

02-04 cluster should work, they changed the speed of the canbus in the 05s so stay away from those.
and i believe the miles are stored in the cluster, so it will have to reprogrammed somehow.
keep in mind the gasers/6.0 have a different painted redline on them.

as for the overlay. ebay usually has them.
White face gauge installed w/pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

i think the 99-03 f150/99-02 expedition should work, but you might have to move some pins around since it dosen't have the trans temp gauge(they have a volt meter instead and might be missing the wait to start)
and i am not sure if the programing is the same between gas and diesel for the tac.
might be worth trying since there are more of them in the pick n pulls so you could get one dirt cheap.

02 03 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Instrument Gauge Cluster Speedometer Pick Miles | eBay

Reactions: jj1
#8 ·
HTML:
if you hold down the odometer button it will show the speed in both mph and kph....
Mustangworld HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics

HTML:
02-04 cluster should work, they changed the speed of the canbus in the 05s so stay away from those.
and i believe the miles are stored in the cluster, so it will have to reprogrammed somehow. 
keep in mind the gasers/6.0 have a different painted redline on them.

as for the overlay. ebay usually has them.
White face gauge installed w/pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

i think the 99-03 f150/99-02 expedition should work, but you might have to move some pins around since it dosen't have the trans temp gauge(they have a volt meter instead and might be missing the wait to start)
and i am not sure if the programing is the same between gas and diesel for the tac.
might be worth trying since there are more of them in the pick n pulls so you could get one dirt cheap.

02 03 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Instrument Gauge Cluster Speedometer Pick Miles | eBay
Thanks for that I think that's what I will go with, a mph cluster.

#9 ·
I'm just curious, but why are you doing this? Aren't speed limits in England in Km/h? And doesn't the speedo have both sets of numbers?

I'm not judging, just wondering.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Well I'll be damned.
How do you calculate fuel consumption in England? Is it MPG? Is it a US gallon or imperial?

#14 ·
It's been a while but I managed to do the swap. I had a few issues before I started still got a few issues.
The actual swap went fine one out one in simple as that. I had a few warning lights on ABS, check gauge, and airbag. Starting with the airbag flashing code said clockspring. new spring installed still got airbag light flash code pointed to a passenger seat sensor when I removed the box from the dash with the key switch in there was nothing inside just an empty box so a used one was installed and that did the trick. put a new rear ABS sensor in drove the truck and the ABS light went out but still had check gauge light on, so after a few miles I noticed ECT gauge hadn't moved so got a new sensor and did the thermostat at the same time, drove the truck still no temp reading and ABS came back on. This is where I'm at now I belled the wires out to the temp gauge from the plug and they check out OK all the gauges on the dash do their thing when the battery's been reconnected I am starting to think I have a bad new sensor. I've not looked into why ABS light is back on yet.
If anyone has got any ideas on what to do next it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.