anyone sell rebuilt rears? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
anyone sell rebuilt rears?

I have been posting like crazy asking diff questions. I just installed a new to me rear. All bearing noise is gone. But, there is a clunk. I removed the cover and the ring gear is all shiny on one side. According to drivetrain.com thats not right. It feels that the play is between the ring gear and the pinion gear. I can spin the wheel with the tire when jacked up. I am holding the yoke. I can feel it. The limited slip seems good. No major, or any, growling or whining. But the clunk. Is there a east coast company that does exchanges? I have an extra core now. If someone has a rear with 4:10s and making no noise I could be interested.
l

Last edited by melmount; 09-22-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
I have been posting like cray asking diff questions. I just installed a new to me rear. All bearing noise is gone. But, there is a clunk. I removed the cover and the ring gear is all shiny on one side. According to drivetrain.com thats not right. It feels that the play is between the ring gear and the pinion gear. I can spin the wheel with the tire when jacked up. I am holding the yoke. I can feel it. The limited slip seems good. No major or any growling or whining. But the clunk. Is there a east coast company that does exchanges? I have an extra core now. Ifsomeone has a rear with 4:10sand making no noise I could be interested.
l
That clunk you hear may or may not be normal. It depends and is hard to tell without looking for myself. I have built quite a few 9" and DANA 60 units. The unit should have some backlash between the ring and pinion. This is true for any type of rear. How much is what matterrs. The reason the ring gear looks polished on one side of the tooth and not on the other side is because one side is coast and the other drive. The drive side will polish over time because of the force on the drive side from the engine. When they are new the clearance is much more tight than when you rebuild them. All the parts in the rear end will get loose over time. But again it's more about how much. If you have u joints in the shaft that are wore it will make the clunk much worse. To test this put it in drive and set the ebrake. The put it in nutral and back to drive. The go from drive to reverse and see if the noise is different. If it's louder then start looking for ujoints with play.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just wait for it to blow. rearends are always to to smash lol does your truck have the ford 10.5
Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dana 80,
oh, 2000 f350, I can go from drive to nuetral back to nuetral and to drive. i am pretty sure it does not clunk. Drive to reverse it does, reverse to drive it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.