attention northerners: snow and 2x4 question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
attention northerners: snow and 2x4 question

I've always been against buying 2x4 trucks, stricly for the reaosn I'm from NY, and there is always snow and floods and whatnot, which means 4x4 is almost a must.

Well I bought a 2x4 truck. Which is fine and dandy, I love it. But whats the best route to not getting stuck this winter? Adding a **** ton of weight, or getting some snow tires (I like blizzaks.. never had an issue with them on other cars), or a combination of both?

I already talked to a guy in michigan on the subject and he said I'll be fine w/ about 900lbs of weight or so.

Any more input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM
wriott

even with 2000 lbs of weight in the back a bald tire will still get you stuck... gotta have good tread (dont need a swamper tire) and some weight in the back you will be good to go. but you have to drive smart but you live in NY so you know what its like to drive in snow.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

The tires on it now are your average long-tread-life all seasons. I cant imagine they will do **** in the snow. I'm good at driving in the snow; the only time I've gotten stuck was in my parents driveway w/ a lincoln, and they dont snow blow since they were using big *** 4x4s. Ya I took out the mailbox on that one

But you think if I get a nice pair of blizzaks and maybe 900 lbs of weight that I wont have a problem w/ slush or powder?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Berm Buster

Wouldnt hurt to get some studded snow tires. Other than that you should be as good as you can get without 4x4. We normaly just use sand bags for extra weight. I would do the combination of both.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Berm Buster

And remember the more narrow the tire the better it is in snow and slush.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyboy487 View Post
Wouldnt hurt to get some studded snow tires. Other than that you should be as good as you can get without 4x4. We normaly just use sand bags for extra weight. I would do the combination of both.
I'm not really into studs, too slippery on wet/dry pavement. I've used blizzaks a lot and have great luck though. You dont think I'll have issues this winter if I get tires and weight though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyboy487 View Post
And remember the more narrow the tire the better it is in snow and slush.
This is true.. only thing is I have to find a happy medium. This is a BIG *** truck, so I dont want to go too skinny and lose control over it and handling, but I dont want to go too wide and lose snow/slush traction
Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

want some good weight get a air mattress that will fit in between the Fender Wells Fill it with water and u can still use your bed
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
want some good weight get a air mattress that will fit in between the Fender Wells Fill it with water and u can still use your bed
Umm. I don't think this is such a great idea. If you ever really want to use your bed getting that big chunk of ice out of there is not going to be fun. I'm not sure an air mattress will survive the freezing/thawing cycle very many times either.

I ran two wheel drive trucks in upstate NY for years. I tried a bunch of different things with varying amounts of success. What I finally settled on is studded snows on the rear and regular snows on the front and sand bags in the bed with a cargo bar or a rack to keep them up against the tailgate. Sand is nice because if you do get stuck you've got sand with you and if you need to move it around or unload it you just need to move the individual bags around.

I have run un-studded snows on the rear with regular (well probably all terrain) tires on the front. This works OK as far as not getting stuck is concerned but I didn't like the handling balance when I was driving faster than I probably should on snow covered roads. That heavy nose really likes to go straight when you want it to turn. Of course if you lift and/or brake going into the corner to get some weight on the nose and you get it to start to turn you can get the tail out with power (yeehaa)

Last edited by APEowner; 09-22-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input on the air mattress.. though as noted I'm not too sure how that will take to freezing and thawing all the time.

But apeowner actually answered a question I forgot to ask; placement of the weight. I was actually thinking putting a board up behind the rear wheels, and pinning the weight on the tail gate. You say thats where you have had the most success for traction?

I'm not a big fan of studs due to being scary on dry or wet pavement when zipping along on the highway. Blizzaks work GOOD so I'm thinking those all the way around will help keep the whole truck under control. I'll probably mount the blizzaks on some steelies and just mount them when it gets bad, and keep my summer tires on the steelies they are on now.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Berm Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
Umm. I don't think this is such a great idea. If you ever really want to use your bed getting that big chunk of ice out of there is not going to be fun. I'm not sure an air mattress will survive the freezing/thawing cycle very many times either.

I ran two wheel drive trucks in upstate NY for years. I tried a bunch of different things with varying amounts of success. What I finally settled on is studded snows on the rear and regular snows on the front and sand bags in the bed with a cargo bar or a rack to keep them up against the tailgate. Sand is nice because if you do get stuck you've got sand with you and if you need to move it around or unload it you just need to move the individual bags around.

I have run un-studded snows on the rear with regular (well probably all terrain) tires on the front. This works OK as far as not getting stuck is concerned but I didn't like the handling balance when I was driving faster than I probably should on snow covered roads. That heavy nose really likes to go straight when you want it to turn. Of course if you lift and/or brake going into the corner to get some weight on the nose and you get it to start to turn you can get the tail out with power (yeehaa)

I would say that is one of the most important thing when driving in the snow. Keeping the front wheels planted.

Yes I would put the sand bags right over the axle or behind it. And keep a good knife with you if you need to cut one of the sandbags open to use it to get unstuck. I have never really seen a problem with studded tires on pavment. No its not going to be as good a reg tires but its not so bad to the point your are going to loose control.

Also a good way to make some sand bags is take some semi tire tubes and cut them in half. Then pinch one end with two 2x4s nailed together. Then fill it up with sand and pinch the other side together. Cheap and works goods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.