SUSPENSION NOISES - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SUSPENSION NOISES

Has anyone experienced a lound thump coming from around the drivers side or passenger side floor board? It sounds like someone under there with a hammer every time i make a right hard right turn or hit bumps at low speeds or when going over small hills like ant piles or so. Iv'e changed out the bushing on the front & rear traction bars? and i still get that thump when i make the turns. Any one had this problem? I've been under there so mant times pulling and pushing on things and nothing is loose or seems to be moving. other that having a shop take a look at it i'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 AM

My wide tires rub A LOT but with your lift I don't think you're in the same boat. Let me know what you find out every once in a while I get a odd sound like you describe but just assumed it was the tires
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 AM

I FOUND THIS. http://www.frontiernet.net/~jcray/04...50Bushings.pdf this may explain things. I only changed the bushing on the axle & not the others.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM

My link arm bushings were shot. Every time i'd hit a bump it would "clank". I could grab the link arm and move it. I put new bushings in and now no noise.

I didnt replace the ones on the axle the were in fine condition.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM

SUSPENSION NOISE

See that's the thing, i can't move anything under there i tried. i think i'll just change them anyways it just has 200k on it Its a pretty cheap repair
Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if the sway bar links are touching the frame it will make noise. The bolts have rubber between them and the link. Then the link has rubber between it and the frame. The rubber likes to push away from the frame resting the link on it. Every turn metal hits metal. Also the trac bar bolts need to be real tight. If those 2 dont get it, I also had to put rubber between the leafs on the front. The leafs(2 pieces per side on mine, not 3 or 4layers just 2) needed to be spread apart and greased. In my case i used a piece from a hard rubber from a floor matt with grease on it to seperate them. If this does not make sense pm me
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 AM

I got under there again yesterday, i'm down to thinking either they gave me the wrong bushing for the sway bar. or my leaf springs are moving where the bolts goes thru the rounded ends. Now i'm not positive but it looked like some rubber was hainging out of that area. I'm just going to have to get it in the air and have a better look see. Its a lound thump. so its gotta be one of those 2 things
Old 09-22-2009, 04:53 AM

my sway bar endlink bushings are bad and i have basically the same noise your describing but now they are getting bad enough its almost like i dont have sway bars
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 AM

I THOUGHT about taking it off, to see if that where it was coming from. Still might, A process of elimination i guess. I talked to a couple of guys that had the smae problem 1 of the 2 took his to the shop sohe didn't know what it was. The other is like me still fighting with it
Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 AM
Banned

I'm having the same issue on the drivers side! When I go off curbs or turn hard etc..

But I think it's also because for some reason my frame and body are separated on the drivers front side :wtf: Look at my threads I've made.. i took pictures too. There is a 2" gap between the frame and body on the front left, after making a recovery of a stuck dodge this happened. My bumper hangs down lower too as it's attached to the frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.