Tymar/Boost Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tymar/Boost Question

Ok so I just got done installing the DIY intake and foil delete mods. I'm hearing the turbo much better now but I do have a question. The turbo sounds great/normal up through 3rd gear, but once it hits overdrive it sounds a LOT different. It's hard to describe actually. The best I can come up with is that it sounds a little bit like bacon frying combined with loud and varying air turbulence. It's definitely NOT a steady increasing whine sound (like in the other gears). Is there something in the stock computer that could be affecting the wastegate accuator while in overdrive? I'm sorry if this isn't a good description but I honestly can't describe this sound...heck this could be completely normal, I don't know. I did floor it up a hill in overdrive and for the first time ever I got a flickering SES light..most likely an over-boost code. Does this sound correct or did I mess up someplace? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try getting a video for us
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Fishing Fanatic

What you are probably hearing is a little turbo surge/flutter mixed with bleed off of boost when the TC locks up. Just my two cents?! New wicked wheel or equivelant will help with the flutter/surge. Enjoy the new turbo sounds I love mine! The flickering SES light is probably from and overboost codition. I know on mine, if I get on it really hard, I will get a light (constant) that will stay on for a couple of minutes and then go out, BUT I am gonna fix that this weekend with a MAP fooler, guages, and exhaust!!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
You'll hear the air flow changes during shifts, etc. etc. a lot more now..

Plus in 4th, without much load (low RPMS) and only cruising around under 5PSI of boost, you wont hear much of the turbo, more or less just air rushing through the filter.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
I think I know the sound you describe

I think I know the sound you describe. It happens on mine when I mash the throttle and hold her down. At about 70 MPH it shudders a little and makes a sound like my air compressor in my garage makes when I let the air out of it. Only happens for a second or two. Going up hill mine will throw the SES light as well if I am mashing the go pedal. I do not know if this is something to worry about or not. Hopefully it's not something that will smoke check a turbo. Turbos ain't cheap. Can a tech please advise on this?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Ok cool, you guys are helping out a lot actually. You are describing (a lot better than I was able to myself!) exactly what is going on. Sounds like it's fairly normal for this intake. I guess I just wasn't prepared for how much louder it really was going to be, it sounds awesome, especially w/ my exaust. Yes, I agree, a WW is on my list now. Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
International Threat

Check my videos
Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
International Threat

InCabNoise.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dunno if that will help b/c I'm at work and can't hear it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if you get this sound around 1800-2000? rpm it is most likely surge... it kinda sounds like you got a puncture in a tire and you hear the leak each revolution.. kinda like psst, psst, psst just really fast. If you have a boost gauge you should see it acting weird.

The whoosh sound aka 'darth vader exhale' after stomping on the throttle and letting off is normal and nothing to worry about The boost has no where to go, so it comes back out the intake and you can hear it because of the big open filter. even with a disco'd waste gate you will still hear this sound.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:24 AM

Thanks Maintain for the video, I'll have to watch it at home cause I too am at work. Most people in the office probably wouldn't enjoy this video turned up really loud, haha. That description from Dysfunctional was spot-on actually. The noise I was referring to was the whooshing sound that is coming back out of the intake, I wasn't aware that air ever came back out of the intake. That's why I thought the wastegate was the culprit. (It continues to amaze me how much I'm still learning about this truck!) Should I disconnect the waste-gate accuator?...right now it's hooked up. What should I expect if I do unhook it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.