transfer case ????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
transfer case ?????

I was wondering, when in 2wd, the front axles dont move. Therefore, nothing, in the front diff is moving either. The front driveshaft is also stationary.
My question is whats working inside the transfer case when only in 2wd?
I just replaced my rear end(dana 80) with a 50k 2003 model. I had some major clunking and noises. The noises sounded like bad wheel hub bearings
in the front end.
I am just curious what in the transfer case could have that bad wheel bearing type growl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just had my transfercase apart and, it's a pretty straight shot out to the rearend when in 2wd. If neither the planetary (for Low Range) or the chain (for 4wd) are engaged, it's just in & out.

Now, there Are large ball bearings on either end that are turning and support the input/output shaft in 2wd. Maybe they could "howl" but, I'd look carefully at the driveshaft too.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM

are these bearing(transfer case parts) spinning when in 2wd?
I replaced the carrier bearing and u joint recently. I bought the truck and had a bad axle seal on the rear. Nothing was leaking so i did not catch it. It was not leaking cause it was almost empty. I am fairly confident its in the rear.When accelerating there was no noise. Just slightly back off the throttle and there it was. Remove the foot totally and its gone again.It was something that the throttle could have an influence on. the throttle has nothing to od with front wheel hub bearings. Those are new too.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sure they are.... When in 2wd, the transfercase is really like an "extended tailshaft".

At the input side there's a support bearing where the, transmissions output shaft, enters and connects to the transfercase.

At the transfercase output side (yoke) there's a similar, large, ball bearing.

Inside there's actually a small oil pump that takes the ATF from the low piont of the TC and supplies these bearings. The ATF from the transmission is separate from it.

I have no idea how common it is for these bearings to fail. They're big, well lubed, and don't look like they'd have alot of "stress" on them..... A Tranny-Guy would know though, maybe find a good shop and take them for a ride
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 AM

thx, I dont think the transfer case is an issue. I think i got my main growl noise with the rear end swap. I am hitting the freeway now. I still have a small clunk when putting it in gear?? I hate clunks. I may have to live with it. Supposedly dana 80's are as smooth going into gear due to their size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.