Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injector Problem

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Williewonka 
#1 ·
I recently put stage 1 injectors in my 03 7.3 and I've had problems ever since. It runs very choppy at an idle after warmed up and there is a ton of white smoke on cold starts. It smooths out at a high rpm and starts getting choppy as I decelerate. I had the truck put on a scanner and all 8 injectors passed buzz test but cylinders 1,2 , and 8 aren't firing correctly when it is running. I have a ts performance chip but it us not custom tuned. Could tuning cause this problem or could it be a cam sensor or something else? Thank you

#2 ·
If they are single shot 160cc then that is why you are getting a terrible idle.

You are running split shot tuning with single shot injectors. Get your chip retuned ASAP.

Corey@cncfab can do this for you.

#4 ·
Where did you get the injectors from? Also unplug the icp and see if it runs any better.

#6 ·
I believe those are single shot and you will need tunes for them

#8 ·
You are getting a cct fault because it's shaking so bad.

It's saying the cylinder is out of balance because of it

#9 ·
Don't know what I was thinking but get tuning then if it doesn't fix it try the icp.

#10 · (Edited)
I would go thru the steps of diagnosis of the issue first. Put a scanner on it and watch ICP and IPR @ idle. Get some correct tuning as if your going to run singles you should be running proper tuning. As for it running rough down at idle and lower rpms than higher it can be the injectors. A set that is not balanced (not flowing the same) will show up near idle and low rpm. Slight imblance to a set of injectors will be masked as the rpms increase. There have been a few trucks I had seen on the forums that were running that brand and they chased their tail trying to troubleshoot to find out it was the injectors. With a good set of injectors it is about moving X amount of fuel in X amount of time for the complete set.

If it is shaking horribly I will put money on injector issues rather than the tuning. You can pull the solenoids off with the injectors still in the truck and use a feeler gauge to check armature gap. If it is less than .002 on any of them I would be pulling them back out. The last guy to have issues with that brand pulled them and sent them to PIS and they came back fixed.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#15 ·
full force only sells single shot stage 1's.

It's going to run like crap until you get the proper tuning

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.