TOO Much BOOST??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TOO Much BOOST???

Ok I have looked and read this site and others trying to find out. My questions, how much boost is too much. How far can I go before one of the heads come off? I have a 99 F350 4X4 auto, BHAF, 5'' turbo back, Diablo Sport Preadator and manual gauges. My boost gauge only regatures to 35lb. When I get on the pedal I peg the gauge at 35lb. So I'm not sure how far past that I'm getting. I have found a lot of discussion about boost pressure but not what is too much. My turbo and waste gate are stock to. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM

your stock turbo and wastegate shouldnt be able to hit past 27-28 psi. is your gauge broken... i think its once you hit 40 psi you need new head studs but not sure. you would also need a new turbo to hit that 40 psi
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
With custom tunes you would see those numbers plus some... But i think if you keep it around 35 you will be fine... how fast does it peg when you really get on it? You could have a faulty gauge (by the way boost gauges are the cheapest gauge out of the bunch so if you wanted one that went to like 50psi that might be the answer)
Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't think the gauge is broken. The gauges are from Autometer I bought them new in Dec. when I got the truck. It pegs the gauge extreamly quick when I get on it hard. I guess I need to look at a bigger gauge. I have been told that 42psi on a Cummins is the break point. My buddy has his Dodge programed to defuel at 40psi and it makes that number with a stock turbo. Is there a lot of difference in the turbos? I will try to get a pic or video of it pegged and post it up. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteF350 View Post
I don't think the gauge is broken. The gauges are from Autometer I bought them new in Dec. when I got the truck. It pegs the gauge extreamly quick when I get on it hard. I guess I need to look at a bigger gauge. I have been told that 42psi on a Cummins is the break point. My buddy has his Dodge programed to defuel at 40psi and it makes that number with a stock turbo. Is there a lot of difference in the turbos? I will try to get a pic or video of it pegged and post it up. Thanks.
A cummins engine will make much more boost much easier than a powerstroke... But with your stock injectors and stock turbo you shouldnt be seeing numbers near 40 at all...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteF350 View Post
Ok I have looked and read this site and others trying to find out. My questions, how much boost is too much. How far can I go before one of the heads come off? I have a 99 F350 4X4 auto, BHAF, 5'' turbo back, Diablo Sport Preadator and manual gauges. My boost gauge only regatures to 35lb. When I get on the pedal I peg the gauge at 35lb. So I'm not sure how far past that I'm getting. I have found a lot of discussion about boost pressure but not what is too much. My turbo and waste gate are stock to. Thanks for the help.
Your boost #s sound about right for your mods..about the same set-up as mine..I run the same programmer and depending on which tunes I have hit 36 to 38 in the past.I changed the files and dropped it back to 26 to 28Lbs boost.I have heard that 40 is about as high as you want to go without studs on these engines.
What revision are you running on the programmer?It will tell you when the programmer is booting up..IE..9R04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.