Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

’00 7.3 Build Thread - 05+ F&R Axle Swap, Lift, etc

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  JTC19 
#1 ·

I bought this truck, sight unseen back in September. Flew down to FL and picked it up at the airport with the keys in the gas cap. I knew I would be changing a lot as it had been seemingly untouched since around 05-06. I had a lot of maintenance to catch up on, but after that the fun began.

The first time I saw my truck. It was waiting for me in the parking garage.

I decided to swap over to a coil spring front end after finding a good deal on a complete front fame clip, drive shafts, and a rear axle & shaft.
A local guy who parts out super dutys dropped off a chopped frame complete with coil buckets, steering box, radius arms & brackets, front DS, rear DS, rear axle, etc. Everything I thought I would need to do the swap. Or so I thought.

I began the teardown in my tiny garage, cutting the frame up and tossing all the unnecessary parts. I also did not want to deal with the dreaded frame rivets. I have very limited tools. I took the coil buckets and radius arm brackets to a local shop that cut out all the rivets for $50. Money well spent in my opinion.

The brakes were in need of replacement, along with a lot of other parts, and I did not feel like dealing with old rusted unknown mileage, beat, calipers. I went ahead and ordered the complete kit from PowerStop. Front and rear calipers, pads, and rotors. I haven’t driven the truck more than 50 miles or so because I had to leave, but they felt much better than the ’00 brakes that were on there.

My truck is from FL and considered extremely clean for its age up in MA, and the axles I received were from a local plow truck. Needless to say, they were in rough shape. I used a descaling gun, wire wheels, and a lot of sweat and beers to get the axles to where I wanted them. They needed a LOT of work and this whole project took up a lot of my short time at home. Although I must say, like most painful projects, it was worth it in the end.

I finished prepping the front and rear axles in my garage using marine clean, metal prep, followed by a few coats of POR15. I top coated the POR15 with a few cans of undercoating. Each axle needed some work, but the rear was the biggest PITA needed all new backing plates and dust shields so the parking brake would work. (still need to buy the newer cables, so it was all for not right now)

Upgrading the brakes to the 05+ meant I could no longer use my 16” wheels with bald 38’s. I was completely fine with that and I ordered the common “bro” wheel. Moto Metal 962’s with 35” Toyo Open Country ATII’s from MrWheelDeal. MrWheelDeal was easy to work with and I got my wheels within a week after purchasing. Mounted balanced and ready to go.

Going with a smaller tire meant I could finally get the ancient 8” lift out. I bought a 4” Superlift way back on black Friday and combined that with my military discount, I got a great deal on it. They did send me 11” U Bolts when I needed 16 but I just had a local spring shop make them in 10 minutes. I did not order blocks from them, I just got a set of stock 350 blocks. I figured 350 blocks combined with the add a leaf I already had should even out to what Superlift calls their 4” lift. I nailed it, the truck sits nice and level, and I don’t have stacked blocks.

Once the axles were ready to go in I started tearing the truck apart. Getting all of the old stuff out was fairly easy even by myself. I wish every vehicle I’ve ever owned was from FL. I had to do this all in my parents’ driveway, as the one at my house is way too small. Doing so I needed to get rid of my old axles ASAP so I ended up selling them to the first guy that showed up, for $150. I used an engine hoist that I rented to transport my new axles from my house to my parents’ house to load them in his truck and send them on their way. This way it keeps my mother quiet, not complaining that her house looks like a “junk yard.”

I had to put the DS flange from the 05 rear axle onto my old '00 DS

While the truck was apart and I was waiting on new radius arm brackets (somehow each one was extremely bent) I decided to pull off the front and rear bumpers, and order a Harley grille. Along with the grille I ordered new headlights. I had the bumpers painted to match. The grille I had painted gloss black in the center and matched the surround. I think it came out great. Much better than the old faded headlights and chrome grille. The emblem will be replaced with a black one, with silver “Ford” that my friend is making for me.
Each Radius Arm bracket was extremely bent so I had to shell out the cash to order new ones from ford. Still unsure of how they got messed up as they were on the frame when I got it

Overall I am extremely happy with the truck. It is now updated, looking very good for a 16 year old truck with 180K on it, & it turns like a mini cooper now :nerd:

I still have a mile long list of things I “need” to do so I will keep updating this thread.

Future projects:
Remove side steps
Finish wiring the power sliding rear window
Bellowed Up Pipes – awaiting install
Riffraff CAC boots (finish) – awaiting install
3M 1080 gloss black vinyl roof – awaiting install
4” Stainless MBRP turbo back – awaiting install
RiffRaff plenum inserts – awaiting install
Hutch Mod
Turbo rebuild with WW
UVCH as preventative maintenance

See less See more
#2 ·
More random pics of the truck:

I have a thing for early ’00 red Fords

’05 Dash bezel misery

TS6 Selector

The foil was such a pain to remove I just wire wheeled it and called it good

Reactions: sleepy steve
#9 ·
A few of the threads I dug up were people swapping from a 2WD set up. if you get the donor front I don't think its too hard to do

#4 ·
YOUR IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS ,,,,how do u like the weather ,,,LOL

#7 ·
Looks great. Big fan of red trucks too...

#12 ·
Thanks the coil swap was the best thing I've done to this truck

The 05 Dash bezel . . . meh. It was a hue PITA probably not worth all the hassle. I'm still messing around with trying to get my radio mounted right. I didn't have a write up I just tried to make it work. none of the vents line up, my headlight switch was a nightmare. I had to cut every wire and figure out what each one did and find its match on the new plugs. it was not a direct swap. although if you had fogs maybe you can just plug it in. I've heard a few different stories. you're better off getting the whole dash. it would have been a whole lot easier

#11 ·
You should be getting some today then! But you're right, its too friggin hot!

#14 ·
Sharp truck! Nice work! :thumb:

#16 ·
I asked my wife to take the truck out today and stretch its legs. she fueled it up and sent me these. She knows what makes me happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.