Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

odd question haha

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ccarley 
#1 ·
So I live in communistfornia, and after my neighbors truck had his dmv paperwork stolen Id like to beef up security on my truck and the house.

my truck is within 30ft from house, anyone here have luck with motion sensor outdoor security lights? I am lucky to live in a nice neighborhood, but 5 minutes down the road ghetto neighbor hoods all over...

I know the law concerning shooting an invader and the home/vehicle owner is basically screwed 99.9999% so what outdoor/ home security systems have you guys ran, and are those jimmy jammers any good?

#2 ·
I don't know anything about this company other then I saw someone else post a link to it. Seems pretty good.
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

#3 ·
Those motion sensor lights are definitely a deterrent. Especially when your front yard is lit up like Christmas for everybody to see them.

Reactions: JustinOOO9
#4 ·
I live in what I refer to as a "Heavily-Armed Gated Community". At least that's what I feel like living on Base. Usually nothing to worry about. But if I wasn't on Base and was limited in my options, I'd just go for the illusion of security. Get some window decals proclaiming yourself a firearms enthusiast. Glock, Magpull, NRA, "Come And Take It", "WARNING: Nothing in this vehicle is worth your life", there's lots of good ones.

#5 ·
ya I normally leave a guns and ammo magazine in the front seat with an old empty ammo box, but was curious if anyone actually used any of the solar powered lights or simply wired one in, there are so many at lowes, and homedepot, and harbor freight and walmart haha.

I do have some stickers I could leave around as well. I love my neighbors, oe retired chp, one retired marine etc and they all know I go shooting quite often when budget allows as well.

again thanks, and if anyone has any good or bad experiences with motion sensor stuff let me know.

I read a good article about simplisafe, but being all wireless kinda worried me but was really easy and fairly economical too.

#6 ·
I bought this motion sensor light/camera combo to put on the side of my house a few years ago at Costco. So far it works really well, the only downside is it records the footage directly to the device via sim card so in order to view it/delete the old footage to make new space you'll have to pull out the card, PITA when it's 20ft high.

#7 ·
ya ive heard of those, to be honest a motion light or two would work for my scenario, I live on the inside of a corner and think two would be good to light up the front, but 99% of all motion sensor lights are great reviews.

i'll keep researching, I just wanted to see what a good crowd of people here have had good luck with lol.

#9 ·
If you're a California gun owner and pro 2a, you need to visit Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

Become a member and get informed. We are in for a fight this year.
I am a member since 2009. Has it changed much?

it seemed a lot of ignorant gun toters were there... Don't get me wrong, they WILL have to pry them from my dead hands, but I found a lot were more looking for trouble then trying to inform the general public about how guns are not just tools for wanna be gangsters.

by the way if anyone doesn't know, I am originally from Idaho, and I stayed here after the Air Force because of a good job. I volunteer to teach kids about gun/ safety, range, hobby etc.

#11 ·
It's all good my friend. I feel the burn as well. I think about two years though I'll be moving back to Idaho tho. It's so frustrating with California's politics. Ya we got red woods and ocean blah blah blah.... Can't enjoy it if your taxes to death.

Ps I don't think I'll be going with simplisafe alarm system. But still researching motion sensor security lights.

#12 ·
Ok, back on track. Home Depot sells motion sensor halogen lights for all kinds of applications.

Take a look at https://blinkforhome.com

If you have wireless internet they are great. They are battery powered so you can mount the cameras anywhere and supposedly last a year on a set of batteries. I've had mine for a few months and they still show full charge. Best part, they are cheap. At night if you have the motion turned on, it also turns on a light that lights up the area and takes a video.

EDIT : jealous your moving out of this God forsaken state. I deer hunt Idaho every year and I wish I could move.

#13 ·
State of Jefferson!

but it will never happen unfortunately.

Honestly I wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Roseville.

#14 ·
I've got motion sensor lights for my driveway and for my front walkway. Also, an inexpensive motion sensor alarm on my mailbox post that isn't too noticeable which alerts us when someone is coming up to the front door. In addition... IP POE cameras watching the front door, driveway, and side of our house. They email a series of photos when they see motion. And my truck has the Kaar alarm (which I don't care for much... but eh I guess it works).

The lights didn't work one evening/morning for a partygoer I found at my front door at 5:00am. I wasn't about to open the door empty-handed, and by the time I was ready, he was walking away. Our house is in a fair neighborhood, but the street behind us has college rentals. Since putting up the driveway motion light, I've seen photos from the cameras of the light coming on, but nobody in sight. I'm guessing that either an animal set it off (which I usually get photos of) or someone was walking up, and changed their mind.

The cameras are great. They did work when someone came up to the side gate of my house and decided to take a look in my backyard one day (middle of the day, best time to rob someone, right?). Police were called, and I met them. Sent them the photos after they made sure my yard was clear. I have a motion alarm just past the gate, and hearing it go off in the house probably deterred the guy.

Clay

PS: Sadly, the gate is now locked. I would have preferred a booby-trap instead!

Attachments

#15 ·
I feel ya on the booby trap.... my biggest issue is potheads and stray cats. they come to the front door and puke. no lies.

you remember what motion sensor lights you got? most of the home depot ones have mediocre reviews at best.

ps thanks for all the help. My wife is as prepared as she can be, we have actually done drills with a smurf gun and I was surprised at how much fun it was hahaha.

#16 ·
IF U HAVE THE HYDRA ,,don't for get about 00 it is a kill switch and truck won't start until u select a power level ,,..1-14 ..haven't used it yet .. BTW but definitely on the,, TO DO LIST,, W/ OIL /TIRES /PAINT TRUCK AND ON AND ON..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.