How much would YOU tow w/o trailer brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How much would YOU tow w/o trailer brakes

So, how much? Is a 6000 lb boat (trailer weight factored in) too heavy to tow without brakes? Also in tow will be three non-malnutritioned human resembling subjects, a full tank of diesel, and maybe 4-500 lbs of gear in the back of the truck, for a 500+ mile trip each way. Truck is a SD F-250. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM

I have a trailer that doesnt have brakes. It a nice homemade trailer and the brakes are laying there,just not installed yet. I have towed 14,000lbs on it but DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. It was a short distance on mostly back roads.

I dont thing 6,000 would be much of a safety problem, just might have to replace brakes alittle more often on the truck.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM

eh, you'll probalby be ok. I mean, drive smart, dont stop short, plan turns..500+ miles you wont be using a lot of brakes anyways.

If you've got a lot of hilly areas ya might consider brakes, but you'll prolly be ok anyways.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have towed about 10k without brakes and it sucks.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Frankly I won't tow more than 1500 lbs without trailer brakes. I've seen too many wrecks from people doing that to feel at all comfortable with it. Yea most of the time you'll be fine but a little rain, dirt, snow or whatever on the road combined with someone doing something stupid in front of you and even with ABS one of our trucks will come around on you. Even under ideal conditions it can take allot longer than you'll like to come to a stop. In some states you can get a ticket for towing over a a certain amount without brakes.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
shaking things up

why are there no brakes on the trailer that must be a fairly big boat to weigh in at 6000 i would put brakes on it if it where me
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

I've done about that much weight 6k, the truck just felt heavy to brake. I planned my turns and left plenty of space. It made me more nervous than it actually was difficult but it's better to be worried and cautious than wreckless. Be safe, if this is your boat and trailer put some brakes on it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM

My boat weighs about 4500 when its full and has no brakes. Pulling with my old half ton scared the snot out of me! pulling with my truck still scares me but I am much more comfortable. I have a 12 foot enclosed trailer that weighs 3k empty and has brakes on both axels (the guy i got it from ordered it that way) Its VERY nice to have the bakes on there. I would like to add some to my boat some day!

I moved my 5th wheel around once without the brakes and will NEVER do that again (12k ish). I was only pulling it out of the driveway, going about 300 feet down the road and backed it into my buddies driveway for a few days. Even that little pull was not fun at all!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I planned my turns and left plenty of space
Always a good idea. The problem is you can't always get the cooperation of the other knuckleheads on the road with this.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Remember it is never the expected that causes problems and we never have to worry about how much we can pull; only how much we can stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.