Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many hours to R&R an engine and assemble a long block

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 · (Edited)
How many hours does it take to assemble a newly bored 7.3 block from pan to valve covers.

Also, how many hours to R&R 7.3 stick shift engine and does it include the transmission and transfer case R&R?

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F250 Super duty 6 speed tranny, 7.3 engine, 4x4

#2 ·
If I remember right engine removal and install is 17 ish hours. That is complete. Not long block. That does not include transmission removal.

#4 ·
why do you want to put a time on that? a feel rushing putting a short block together is asking for trouble since you have to check all the clearances..

it also depends on your tools and experience.... without tear down i can have a engine swapped in a weekend with the right tools and a long block on hand ready to go in.

what is going to be the time killer is checking the crankshaft end play, crank bearing clearances, rod bearing clearances, rings etc.... why most pay the machine shop(including myself) to assemble the bottom end.... slaping it together is just going to cost you in the long run.....

Reactions: five0merc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.