Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Boy I wish I hadn't driven the 6.7

4K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  NTXseventhree 
#1 ·
So my Excursion has been at the body shop for 3 weeks now getting a fresh coat of paint and the body shop gave me a 2015 F350 DRW with the 6.7 to drive. Holy crap that thing has a bunch of power. Now I just have to tell myself that I don't need to spend $80K on a new King Ranch.

I have sunk a bunch of money on my 7.3 to get to the same power. I still love my 7.3 with 375,000 miles but it is tempting

On the negative side for the 6.7, I drove it around 750 miles this past weekend hauling my Travel Trailer and it only averaged 8.6 mpg. That SUX! My 7.3 averages around 12.5 pulling doing the same trip with the TT. Unloaded this thing only gets 11-12 mpg.

Reactions: john galt
#6 ·
One thing I overlooked when I bought mine- installed a Titan 50 gallon tank on it after 3k miles. If you get a long bed they make one that is 67 gallons I think.

Reactions: elephantrider
#7 ·
7.3 no dpf
no excessive epa meddling
proven longevity
and a trusted reliable friend :nod:

i dated strippers from time to time too but i didnt marry one :hehe:

#8 ·
All I can say is, if you buy a new one, buy the extended warranty. You're married to Ford for 7 years, then you trade and start all over again. It's a lifetime of payments to Henry.

I've owned both. The 6.7 was the nicest truck I've ever owned. However, when I stepped back into my current 7.3 it felt like an old friend, especially when I started it for the first time and I heard that "romp luga luga luga".

#9 ·
If I every buy a 6.7 it will definitely be used. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit. Unless I hit the lottery, I'll never buy a new car. Too much loss in depreciation the first few years. I would rather take my 7.3 and shove it in a new body. I love my 7.3.

#14 ·
You know about one exception to that is Jeep Wranglers. You can damn near sell it for what you bought it. A friend of mine only took a 2k hit when he sold his a few years after he got it. If you ask me, that's pretty damn good.

#11 ·
Granted my fathers is a 2011, mine is faster, tows better and gets better fuel mileage in every situation. I can diagnose and fix it myself.

These are the reasons I love my 7.3.

The 6.7's are very nice, ride quite well and are super comfortable. But the pros do not outweigh the cons for me.

Ill probably end up buying this truck from my dad in a few years to help with a growing family as my truck is a xtra cab. But I wont get rid of my current truck. Its too much fun.

#12 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has thought the 7.3 is like an old friend because that thought passes through my head often, haha.

#13 ·
we have all spent time under the hood or under the truck. it feels familiar popping the hood to check stuff.

#15 ·
And Toyota Tacoma & Toyota pickups. I had a Tacoma for four years and sold it for over $1k more than I originally purchased for, with quite a few more miles.

#16 ·
It's all supply & demand. Lol. I once sold a set of used tires for 500$ more than I bought them for. My case was 40" Goodyear MTR's. Sold my set for 2500$ within about 20 minutes.

#17 ·
Have both

Solution is just to have both. I have a 2000 with a few goodies and have a 12 I just deleted. Both are great and have their own pluses. That six speed sure is nice compared to the 4r100, especially towing.

#18 · (Edited)
I too had the opportunity to drive a 6.7, one of our fleet trucks. Single cab long bed. Loaded 1500 pounds of batteries in it and took it on a 2 hour drive to the job site. That thing felt like a hot rod; instant boost and more than enough power for that little load. Not to mention it was q u i e t. My associate like to hear the turbo spool down, but that was about all you could hear in the thing.

I still enjoy my 7.3 though. It's more like "shut up I'm working". There's no way I can even afford a new truck anyway, so the temptation for me isn't even there :) I'm going to keep the 7.3 for as long as possible...

Clay

#20 ·
granted i am in a 6.0 BUT
i loved my old partners 7.3 which contributed to my getting my 6.0 that and the whole bail out fiasco and i was sold :thumb:
anyways... I could sell my truck for more than i have in it right now...but why would I?
I mean it is almost right where i want it...then to start over with a newer truck that depreciates faster every year and costs more than i have paid for houses?
well I will be keeping my trusted friend for many years to come
after all the 6.0 is like the 7.3's retarded cousin :tard: and once fixed right is dependable and has more power than i will ever need... plus i dont like small trucks and have no intention of taking a cclb through a drive through anyways so :dunno:

my point being you could buy a dead 7.3 for 4k replace the motor with a brand new one, trick it out how you want,get a newer trans, and STILL be well ahead of the game in a truck that is worth more than you have in it :thumb:
so why take a 5k hit every year to drive a new one i wouldnt enjoy driving much more anyways?
and the 7.3 really is the time tested platform that made diesels popular for their longevity :nod:

#21 ·
after all the 6.0 is like the 7.3's retarded cousin :tard:
Woahhh give us a little credit here, we are at least a retarded brother.

#22 ·
brother it is :D

i LOVE my 6.0 no def limited interference from the morons at the epa.
plus it is an absolute JOY to drive...:nod:

Reactions: waggonerj
#25 ·
They'll be in the six figures in ten years. That'll be hard to swallow. (like 80 large isn't???) :eek:
Its only cause people are willing to pay it for some reason. If people would stop buying them the price would go down.

#28 ·
01 f350 lariat crew lwb- 4x4 7.3. 41k and some change

Attachments

#32 ·
I bought two trucks in 2001.
#1 ) F250 Lariat Loaded 4 door 4X4 This truck had everything available on it when I ordered it. $42K (figuring inflation, in todays dollars it would be $56,505)
#2 F350 xl Reg cab. 4X4 $31K (todays value, $41,706)

Here's a link to the inflation calculator that I used to determine todays values. You'll have fun with it.
Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2016

So, with all that said the prices are up considerably since 2001 as sticker for a loaded F250 Crew Cab would be around $65K-$70K.

#33 ·
After reading this you guys have me rethinking buying new. My current truck is an '05 250 XLT ecsb, completely bullet proofed, 150,000 mi, gets 17-18 mpg unloaded and fast as hell with the Vivian's tunes. I know every inch of this truck. I was planning on pulling the trigger on a '16 350 cclb lariat when th 17s hit the lot and hoping to get it out the door for around 57,000.

But now?? I don't know...the '16 is so damn nice though.

Damn you guys and your logic

#38 ·
You shouldn't have any trouble buying a new one for $57K. I bought a Ruby Red 2014 CCSB 6.7 Lariat Ultimate (really loaded) 4X4 out the door for $51,500 with a lifetime powertrain warranty. I don't think they've gone up that much in two years.

#34 ·
$80k??? Wow.... In 2012 I was getting ready to drive off the lot with a brand new F350 King Ranch for $65k. Also for $80k, now wonder the advertisers are only advertising the rebates. Not a 7.3 guy; I have a 6.0. I am looking for a diesel 4WD excursion, either a 7.3 or 6.0. If I did win the lottery, I would get a 2016 or 2017 F350, and then have it made into an excursion.

#35 ·
I think it would be cheaper to find a nice original EX and front end/interior swap. Won't have to worry about emissions either if you find an early enough frame.

#39 ·
I agree that the 7.3 can be hard to start when its below 0, however, this year I put some 0W-40 synthetic in it and it started just as good as my 6.7 during the coldest part of the winter. I only waited until the "wait to start" light went out and it started like a charm every time.

#40 ·
Do you plug your truck in? Past winter didn't have a single problem starting it up plugged or unplugged. Would only rough idle till warm if I didn't plug it in for a few days.

#44 · (Edited)
No, I've never tried the block heater. To be honest, it starts so well without it that I can't justify wasting the electricity, I'm saving the planet you know! :rofl:

#41 ·
Ya I run 5-40 Delo Syn in the winter, which is like 7 months in W Wyoming.

Also those Mean Green starters kick ***, turns your truck over twice as fast as stock starter.

Ya plugged in but when its -20F I dont care what diesel truck you have good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.