Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

engine block heater cord replacement

20K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  keystone crawler 
#1 ·
the end of my block heater cord just broke off. How difficult is it to just replace the cord and where can I get one ASAP?

#2 ·
You can splice a new end on it easier?

Maintain and myself did a whole new cord on mine, it was actually a little bit of a pain, as the ratchet fasteners/push pins were a bugger to get to. I think we spent 30-40 mins on replacing it.

I just went to a Ford dealer and got the factory cord, it's rather expensive for just the cord.

#3 ·
You can go to the hardware store and get a new plug end, Put it on just like you would any other electric cord. I did when I accidently ripped my cord plug off. Total cost was 79 cents for the new plug end at the hardware store.

#4 ·
NAPA has them or you can go to an International parts house and find one. Follow the cord back to the heater in the block, the wires just plug in to the heater.

#6 ·
Yeap, that is a whole lot cheaper. Had to do that very same thing to mine. I lucked out though. Dad had an old outdoor extension cord that was messed up on the opposite end of the plug in. Took a pair of side cutters, whacked it off, spliced the good plug on my cord, good as new:chicken:

#7 ·
Yup, I agree, Just put a replacement end on it. You can get the good ones that are waterproof, and way cheaper than the factory replacement.

Gord.

#8 ·
If the end just broke off then you probably have an old worn out cord i am guessing...i wouldn't try an repair the end if the whole thing is that brittle.

#9 ·
Yeah. I guess it would be easier to just splice a new end from another cord on it. The wire broke right at the base of the plug. What would be the best wire connectors to use for the splice. Should I leave the splice for a permanent fix or eventually run the new wire. Thank for the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.