2000 powerstroke 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chucky797
2000 powerstroke 7.3

i have a guy looking to buy my 2006 silverado so i am going to by a ford powerstroke. i know i know. its a chevy... i am woundering if a this is a good one. it is a 2000 f250 with the 7.3. it has a 6 speed trans. the only thing is i have to fly from wi to fl to look at it. i just don't want to go there and be disipointed. i seen the tech for what to look for. is there anything else i should look at. any info on these trucks?

edit it has 100k miles. he wants $15,500 for it

thanks

charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky797 View Post
i have a guy looking to buy my 2006 silverado so i am going to by a ford powerstroke. i know i know. its a chevy... i am woundering if a this is a good one. it is a 2000 f250 with the 7.3. it has a 6 speed trans. the only thing is i have to fly from wi to fl to look at it. i just don't want to go there and be disipointed. i seen the tech for what to look for. is there anything else i should look at. any info on these trucks?

edit it has 100k miles. he wants $15,500 for it

thanks

charlie
Personally if it was me I would be looking around your area eventually you will find a truck near you. I wouldn't go 18-20 hours south to buy a vehicle to get there and find out it has either been sold or not what you were looking for. Also take into consideration of this. 15,500 for the truck ok now plane ticket, fuel, food, mileage on the truck, possible need of rental car, possible break downs on the way home, hotel room. I would say after you figure in all that cost, You spent 20,500 for the truck. So for the extra 5,000 you would spend on the truck you are looking at buying in flordia you could get one near you for around the price of 15,500 and save yourself 5,000 so you can do mods to your truck as soon as you get it.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

See if you can get the vin # and have an oasis report done. Then follow your gut.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

You can contact one of the auto clubs in the area and get them to do a preliminary check on the vehicle for you, then if it sounds good you can go get it. Or have it shipped to you.

Gord.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:57 AM

That mabe a little high for a 2000. I purchased a 2001 Excusrion with 80K miles for 15K just a month ago. Do more looking around, and as mentioned above look closer in your area.

Ther are many dealers in Texas that sell clean F250-F350 diesels. We sure sure tons of them around here.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the forum! thats not bad mileage, if its close to me, ill go kick the tires on it for you. you may also want to have the owner take it in to a ford garage to have them look at it too. it may cost you a hundred or so, but they will find out if it has any problems that you should be aware of. if it needs anything, you can have the owner fix it or negotiate the price a little
also, we dont discriminate here, just glad your looking at a psd! and the 7.3 is a great motor

Last edited by Brian; 02-25-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Just to add somthing. If your in the market to buy a new PSD go premium as in Premium membership on Powerstroke.org and then you can get oasis reports. Oasis reports is a maintenance history report of the vehicle you provide the vin for as long as the maint was performed at a dealership. It might show enough info to help you make a yes or no decision
Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to slow00si
stay in your area search around on autotrader.com or look around here there might be some used trucks on here around you, but imo 15500 for a 2k with 100k is a little high after you flying to him, i got my 2000 with 140k crew cab lariat with rebuilt motor and trans for 12k
Old 02-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i would have to advise against the looking in your area for your truck advise, this is why, winter roads, believe you use salt in WI, you never know if they have cleaned the underside good after having to drive on the salted roads. this is why so many that live in the areas that do, go buy vehicles that are in the southern states. so many dealers even go specially to auctions in Texas, Arizona and so on for the rust free always dry climate so will be a few years older but solid.

you can also get independent appraisers to go do a report on your vehicle, usually around $100, they check it over very well, body, mechanical, I did one and the owner swore up and down that it was not correct, but I stayed away as it indicated possible frame damage. so well worth the money.

as well as you can get unlimited Carfax reports for like 30 days for about $40, this will tell you accident history, ownership, miles.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought my truck long distance (Maryland to Texas) because I wanted a 'one of a kind' truck. I flew out, took a taxi to the galleria area in houston, stayed in the marriott, chilled in the jacuzzi w/ my honey all night and they picked me up in the morning, I test drove the truck, they changed the oil, I drove home 75-80 mph the whole way.

I got the plane tickets for 200 bucks, taxi for 40, hotel for 300, and about 300 bucks for diesel for the drive home. Food, well I would eat at home so I don't care about that, and it was a nice 3-day trip w/ my ex girlfriend.

The trucks around here for a 2001/2002 lariat F250 CrewCab shortbed with 100k or less was over $28,000 in 2005. I did my trip, bought the truck and took a vacation and saved over 5,000 bucks.
Problems, overhead console, wheel bearing, and a squeaky visor were the only problems I've had w/ the trucks IIRC.

Become a premium member and get an OASIS. Since it's so close to 100k then there is a good change you can also get a service history. Also, find someone nearby that can check the truck out for you, and go with your gut. A 2000 with 100k and a 6sp for 15k is NOT that bad IMHO...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.