Clearance lights leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clearance lights leaking

I've been to the dealership 7 times for water leaking into the cab under the dash from the clearance lights. The last time (2 months ago) the water got into the fuse panel and cooked the fuses. Dealership finally said they found the leak and repaired it. But said if it happens again they would have to replace the lights. When I was leaving for work day b4 yeaterday i went outside and my stereo was playing and the defroster was on, my keys were in my hand. I put the key into the ignition and the stereo and defroster turned off. I turned the keyoff and the stereo and defroster came back on. Has anyone of you had similar probs? I'm really sick of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWStroker01 View Post
I've been to the dealership 7 times for water leaking into the cab under the dash from the clearance lights. The last time (2 months ago) the water got into the fuse panel and cooked the fuses. Dealership finally said they found the leak and repaired it. But said if it happens again they would have to replace the lights. When I was leaving for work day b4 yeaterday i went outside and my stereo was playing and the defroster was on, my keys were in my hand. I put the key into the ignition and the stereo and defroster turned off. I turned the keyoff and the stereo and defroster came back on. Has anyone of you had similar probs? I'm really sick of this.
Sounds to me the moisture may have gotten to the computer under the dashboard on the drivers side. As for your leak Silicone caulk or rtv sealant will cure your leaking lights. If you have to get them replace go aftermarket and get the smoked ones with yellow led lights. Since your truck is not underwarranty anymore this is the route I would go.

What I would do is remove the lights one by one and put sealant around the base of them and put the lights back on. That should stop the water leak. Also check your windshield seal as I have heard of these windshields leaking from the top of the windshield and run down into the area of the computer and fuse panel causing strange things as you have described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM
International Threat
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 13,087
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's the GEM Module getting wet that is doing those quirky things. My suggestion would be fix whatever it is ASAP b/c those things cost a PRETTY PENNY.
I had a leaky visor and it did the same thing!

The RTV sealant is what I used to stop the leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks again bigcountry and maintain for the response. I've been having this problem since it was under warranty and so far they have continued the coverage. Also i have already replace the lenses with smoked lenses and amber bulbs. The dealership sealed the lights last time it was in. Next they will replace them. Funny thing about all this is when I ordered the truck from the factory, I ordered it without lights. Upon delivery I accepted the truck because I had already been without a vehicle for awhile. Darn lights. Anyway thanks for your help. The CPS replacement was as easy as you had described in the other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens Illinois
Posts: 578
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Sounds to me the moisture may have gotten to the computer under the dashboard on the drivers side. As for your leak Silicone caulk or rtv sealant will cure your leaking lights. If you have to get them replace go aftermarket and get the smoked ones with yellow led lights. Since your truck is not underwarranty anymore this is the route I would go.

What I would do is remove the lights one by one and put sealant around the base of them and put the lights back on. That should stop the water leak. Also check your windshield seal as I have heard of these windshields leaking from the top of the windshield and run down into the area of the computer and fuse panel causing strange things as you have described.
do not use silicone on your paint it will corrode the paint and actually promote rust within a few months. don't do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00powerstrokin View Post
do not use silicone on your paint it will corrode the paint and actually promote rust within a few months. don't do it
what would you reccomend to seal the lamp bases if not silicone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've used silicone seal for years and have NEVER had it corrode ANYTHING other than my patience trying to remove it..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I too have never experinced any corrission from silicone sealant on auto body's. I have used it several times to seal up leaks. Also the black caulk they use to seal your windshield is silicone based. So if silicone speeds up the corrission process then why do they use it to seal the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I too have never experinced any corrission from silicone sealant on auto body's. I have used it several times to seal up leaks. Also the black caulk they use to seal your windshield is silicone based. So if silicone speeds up the corrission process then why do they use it to seal the windshield.
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks guys, I'll be workin on this as soon as it stop raining every day down here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens Illinois
Posts: 578
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
go talk to your local body shop. They will tell you the same thing. My dad used t to seal hs windshield when t started to leak and withing 2 months he had a new wndshield put in and the pant was gone where the silicone was. there is a difference between slcone and wndshield sealant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors