computer fried!! help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation computer fried!! help

ok i was putting my new ts 6 position chip in and everything was going great till i sat on the batteries and my zipper crossed them!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?! well result is my chip was fried and my computer fried. now my ? is that, can i get the chip reburned or do i need a new chip? and what am i supposse to do with my comp.? i know i need a new one but how do i tell what one work in my truck, early 1999 f-350 7.3l auto.??? any help would be, well, helpful! thanks alot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Conservative and Proud

Your zipper??????

That bites man!!! Bumping this back up so hopefully someone will see it that can help!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok well this is what I would do. You can order a new PCM from parts stores, they will need your vin number and pcm number so they can program it properly I think the cost is around 500 bucks but don't quote me on that.

As for your TS chip contact who you got it from and see what they can do for you. If you got it from a good supplier they may help you out the best they can. As in they may replace the chip or it maybe saveable and just need to be reburned. They most likely will ask you send it to them so they can check it out and see if it is saveable or needs replacing.

How do you know the chip is fried does it look burnt, smell burnt. obviously it ain't workin right now.

FYI always disconnect the batteries while doing electrical work on a vehicle I have seen some very bad electric burns caused by people being to lazy to remove there rings, necklaces, braceletts, and not disconnecting the batteries.

Also next time use some duct tape and cover that area of your pants to prevent this from happening again I know it sounds strange or stupid but I know people that do this because your not the first person I heard this has happened too.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks

thank you for your help, i am still trying to belive what happened! i just stood there shocked,(ha), but it happened. thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

beepbeepbeepbeep murphy's law!!! Check with the vendors on here also they might know where to get a new pcm also?? Not sure but its worth a shot. Also another option is to find yourself an old blanket you can use to lay across your batteries while your under the hood
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
happened to my pcm on my 96 7.3 it cost about 250 but mine slowly went bad and caused it to die alot and scan tools also caused to to die, which led my to buying a new IDM also ford wanted 800. so that was out of the option i ordered one from beans diesel performance in TN for 100. Its a high performance IDM to give you better low end toque.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Contact DP tuner and they can get you a new PCM for alot less then parts stores... 250 IIRC
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
CW4 Retired, US Army

I don't even want to know why you have a zipper that runs all the way around to your "sitting" area.

Ricky
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

You can get a new computer through Napa for $256 if they have it in stock, if not they will charge about $75 for express shipping which takes a day or two depending on where you live. That was the price that they quoted me earlier today.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
You can get a new computer through Napa for $256 if they have it in stock, if not they will charge about $75 for express shipping which takes a day or two depending on where you live. That was the price that they quoted me earlier today.
I assume you're talking about a gas motor computer like in your truck? Cause Napa online doesnt list a computer for the 7.3L diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.