Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 trans cooler swap question, it's different I promise

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
My 2000 had a late model (2002) radiator put in it when it was wrecked. Which means it has the trans cooler built into the radiator, but my truck doesn't have the correct lines for it (since its a 2000) and the openings are just plugged and missing the adapters (NPT to inverted flare).

The debate about whether or not to use the radiator cooling loop with the 6.0 cooler is ongoing, however I would like to since I have it.

Questions:

Where can I find the adapters in the radiator that would have connected to the factory (2002) trans cooler lines. OR do I even need them, just use a NPT to hose barb fitting direct into the radiator?

I dont know which side is in and out on the radiator, or does it matter?

Inline filter should go on the return side back to the trans, Correct?

#2 ·
I can answer part of the question, I did not run the fluid through the radiator, it's bypassed. My temps are in the 160's on a hot day, and the worse temp I've had was pulling my 10K 5th wheel up a 8% grade in the Tenn mountain's and it hit just over 200*, but most of the time it's never over 180*

#3 ·
thats nuts

mine us usually 130s(average)-150s rarely over 160.... and being a 02 i believe mine is ran threw the radiator but i will have to double check(had the 6.0 cooler installed when i did the transmission down at john woods shop in California).

as for fitting, either get some from the junkyard or use hose barb and transmission fluid rated lines.

and i have always assume the top in the input and the bottom is the output.

as for the filter i don't think it matters to much, as long long as it is inline.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, few more questions that came up.

Does anyone know what kind of pressure is running in those lines?

Reason I ask is I'm thinking about cutting the steel line and using a compression fitting or flaring it, verses cutting the rubber and using a hose clamp and 3/8x1/2 reducer unions.

#9 ·
My 2000 is run through the rad then the 6.0 cooler.
I live in Phoenix and normally see about 155 in summer when it is 115 degrees ouside.
Last time I towed my 27 ft trailer (7200 lbs) up the Rim at 70 mph, I never got over 165 degrees.
Right now at 87 degrees outside in traffic I hit 140 MAX.

On the routing.....I always put the input line on the bottom and the output of the rad cooler from the top, this way the air is bled out right away and not trapped or foaming.

#10 ·
The coolant in a radiator always goes from top down. So, going from the bottom up with tranny fluid means it gets heated up again just before it leaves the radiator. (when using the built in cooler in the radiator. It's always best to go from top down. The bottom is where the coolest fluids are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.