Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Speedometer and Odometer inop

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chadargon@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Hi all I have moved this post in order to receive more help. I have a 2000 f250 SD 7.3 with a few issues most I have sorted. Mainly my Speedo and odometer are inop. I need to fix this in order to get the tranny to shift properly and it may need a rebuild. I have so far changed the Rear VSS, New GEM module, checked fire wall connections and moved ground behind the headlight in order to get power to the ABS module. I have tested the fuses and now lost as to what to do next. Your help would be greatly appreciated:please:

#2 ·
It sounds like your cluster may be the culprit. Please call us at 800-547-2049 if you would like to send it in to be tested. I look forward to serving you!

#3 ·
I'm far from an expert (I just got my first PSD a few weeks ago) but I'm having trouble with the ABS light staying lit. I changed out the VSS in the rear, but from what I understand there are speed sensors in the front, too (which are the next things I plan to check, since changing the VSS in the rear didn't make the ABS light go out).

Could bad speed sensor(s) in the front affect the speedo and odometer?

#6 ·
The flashing Overdrive light means DTC's are present.
Do you have the capability to pull the DTC's from the PCM?
What DTC's are present?
(DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code)

The sensor on the rear diff, and speedometer operation have NOTHING to do with the transmission shifting. The sensors the trans uses for road speed and shifting are on the transmission. The rear diff sensor is NOT used for the transmission.

The front wheel sensors have NOTHING to do with speedo. Neither does the GEM.

At this point, you NEED to know if P0500 is set or not. If it is NOT, the speedo itself in the dash cluster needs work.

#9 ·
Do you have a Wait To Start Light with key-ON?
Have you checked the underside of the wire harness where it goes over the driver side valve cover for worn-through insulation?
Do you have a Service Engine Soon light with key-ON? Is it illuminated after engine is running?
Does your cig lighter work? (Same fuse as the ALDL (scanner) port power).

#10 ·
Hello-
I have a 96 f250 powerstroke diesel. It has been shifting/down shifting real hard and the speedometer is jumping all over the place. I replaced the speed sensor on the rear diff twice. At first it worked but only for a few miles then same thing. I just replaced fluid in rear diff and same thing. It has a rebuilt tranny about 65,000 mile ago. Any help would be appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.