Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Opinions wanted

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Horizon122 
#1 ·
I have the 2000 that is in my sig, with the addition of a leveling kit and XD spy wheels/nitto terra 295/75/18. I'm very happy with the truck, with the exception of a couple of things. 1. It's a ExCab and not a CC, the crew would be a lot more family friendly 2. Aesthetically, something needs to be done with the front end, it's too bland. Other than that I'm very happy with my truck, I get lots of compliments on it. It has 113k, very very few scratches/dings, and no leaks or problems.
For some reason a 6.0 keeps crossing my mind, particularly a 05-07. Would y'all sell/buy/trade a great 7.3 for a 6.0? Can a 6.0(bulletproofed) be as dependable/reliable as a 7.3? What is my truck worth?

#3 ·
My opinion: Keep the 7.3

You have a low mileage, debt-free (I'm guessing), reliable truck (with everything else you've listed). You have what many want. If you trade for a 6.0, sure you get the benefits of more power, upgraded technology, suspension, etc but youre crossing into another territory and potentially into somebody else's problems.

The extended cab isn't a problem for me and I haul around the wife, 2 kids (in bulky car seats) and their bags of food, toys, diapers, etc etc without an issue. Sure a crew cab would be more ideal but personally, I'll never sacrifice what I have for a little more room in the cab.

Just like everyone else reading this thread, there will be countless opinions and perspectives. Mine is a vote to keep the 7.3 and enjoy the truck for what it is in all of its simplistic glory.

The 7.3 is the trusty ol' battle axe that will be around for many many years.

#4 ·
The need for a crew cab changes things. I'd search and even travel for a 7.3 in a crew cab (I actually did when I bought my 99 after having the 97 for 11 years).

It's so nice to be able to haul six people comfortably...probably not helping with your decision eh?

The 6.0 has been around so long that I'd assume that most of them have been fixed to where it's a reliable platform.

#5 ·
Ag,
Yes, the ex cab is doable but ...

It's so nice to be able to haul six people comfortably...probably not helping with your decision eh?

The 6.0 has been around so long that I'd assume that most of them have been fixed to where it's a reliable platform.
^^This
I was looking for a crew cab 5yrs ago when I found my current truck. I couldn't pass up the low mileage and honestly I think an ex cab looks better. I have found a few lower mileage CC 7.3s online but I could buy a 6.0, bulletproof it, and have money left over for the asking price of the 7.3.
I guess my main question should be, can 6.0s be as reiable as a 7.3? Then I'll have to decide if it's worth getting rid of ol' reliable.

#7 ·
Id just find a crew cab v10 or 5.4 and swap your low milage 7.3l into it.... you can probally find one with a blown motor for the price its going to cost you to bulletproof a 6.0...... and at the end of the day you will still have a 6.0 with injectors that will need replaced every 50 to 100k and a variable vain turbo tgat will sieze up if you dont work it hard enough.

#8 ·
You have two options as I see it.

1. Find a reputable shop with an outstanding track record (stretchmytruck) and have them stretch the frame and put in a crewcab or how ever you want it. Update the front end with lights, grill, bumper (aftermarket or 05+ Ford), call it a day with a nice truck you're familiar with. Everything you're asking for can be fabbed and bolted on.

2. Sell the truck and get a cheap 6.0 with a really nice body and fully build the engine. Rather or not you'll be happy is a 50/50 shot.

#9 ·
I went back and forth on this for the last 4yrs or so while searching for the right truck. After talking to many owners and mechanics that work on them and some owned one or the other. I went 7.3. The 6.0 can be a monster but it is huge money to get to close to the 7.3 reliability. Then government BS comes in depending where you live. I would absolutely keep your truck. The changes you want would be way less then messing with a 6.0. There are tons of non repaired 6.0 out there still chugging along burning coolant and other expensive things. I looked at several of both trucks and for sure a 6.0 truck was less money when similar were compared. That said a lot to me on its own. Of course its your decision but you asked for opinions :). The gas body swap would not be too bad on these trucks. Much newer and it would get brutal. You would want an 03-04 or older if I recall from my playing with v10 days. Just a simpler setup and less to mess with when striping the body down.

KEEP THE 7.3!!!!! my 2 cents :)

Josh

#10 ·
I think I'll pass on stretching the frame, it's too nice of a truck to do that. If I were to sell/trade my truck, I would want to go newer for the better ride and turn radius(coil spring front end) and for the creature comforts of the newer trucks. It's looking like I will probably stay with what I have. That seems to be the general consensus here.

#13 ·
Again all that stuff can swapped out lol. You can honestly do whatever you want toy your truck if you throw enough money at it. That's what I'm doing and everyone thinks my truck rolled off the dealer lot yesterday and is a 2016. When I tell them it's an 02 they don't believe me.

#11 ·
I was in the same boat as you at one time
My E99 had a lot more miles, but was also over 550 hp. But it was starting to nickel and dime me.
I sold it and began to look for a bigger truck for the family. I don't trust any 6.0 and the 6.4s are a crap shoot.

So I switched brands and went with the most powerful platform , 6cyl, and hope the rest of the truck lasts

#14 ·
Good luck with that. LOL. I tried it and it didn't work for me. The motor was awesome but the rest......

#15 ·
How good is the ride with nice shocks and factory springs? Honestly, the rebound could be a lot better but otherwise I'm content with my ride quality.

The seat belt for the center fold down seat(which was added from a 06, I think) will not stay tight. If I can get that fixed it will appease the wife enough for us to take my truck more. Is there any adjustment in the seat belt or will I need a new one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.