Power Door Locks not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Door Locks not working

Anybody ever gone into the door panels to fix the power door locks?

The power windows work fine, but the door lock buttons on both the front driver's side door, as well as the passenger front door lock won't work. They click and you can feel them trying to push the locks, however they won't lock or unlock (after pushing them down manually).

Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Go to General Tech, Maintenance, and Mod info and scroll down to door lock repair. Follow the instructions exactly. It will only cost you a little time, a few dollars for screws and some blood. More blood than anything else, but your locks will work. I did this myself a month ago. Good Luck
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

yea your door lock actuators are goin out. i only replaced mine not too long ago. there is some write up in the web on an excursion. pretty good one too if you decide to completely replace them and i found my replacements for 40 for a pair on AM auto parts.
or you can just repair the ones you got in it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Great article! I wonder what the aluminum foil is used for? (Why the back rectangular insert of the motor needs to be wrapped in aluminum foil?) There are couple of pictures missing in that article so I'm trying picture exactly what needs to be wrapped and why?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
Great article! I wonder what the aluminum foil is used for? (Why the back rectangular insert of the motor needs to be wrapped in aluminum foil?) There are couple of pictures missing in that article so I'm trying picture exactly what needs to be wrapped and why?

Thanks
You're right, it is a great article. Don't worry about the missing pictures. Their absence proved no problem. The little piece that needs the foil is obvious once you get the motor open and clean the blood off. (I'm really not a bleeder, I just had lot's of leaks). I spent twenty years building and wrenching on my farm equipment and tractors, BIG STUFF. This little stuff scared me, but it was rather easy and quite satisfying. Plus if new actuators are 40 bucks each, you save $78. Less the dollar for screws and another for bandaids.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Okay. You'll have to bear with me on this. How exactly do I wrap this little piece with aluminum foil? Am I supposed to wrap the small plastic piece that is held in the motor by the two small tabs?

Do I completely wrap this piece then slide it back in? Or do I partially wrap it? Sorry to be so literal but I don't see what's happening here. I got this little piece pulled out of the motor btw. So far everything is going along fairly well. The mechanism was a little difficult to get out of the door, what with all the linkage and everything No bandaids so far though
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. If you look at picture #12 (not counting red X's). You will see the little rectangular waffer that must be removed from the plastic housing and wraped with foil. I used regular kitchen foil and put one small layer all around the wafer, wrapped it tight (think a nice Christmas present) and slid it back in it's slot.

NO BANDAIDS????????? Wow, either you're really good or I suck. Good job!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Found it! Right before I checked back for the reply, and I found the little rectangular piece.

Yeah no bandaids yet, but I'm having trouble trying to piece back the linkage that runs from the door key lock. Any photos or any way someone can help me try to get this linkage back correctly????? I'll check back at the tech thread again and see if there's a photo there that I missed......

Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Try this

2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 - Door Lock Actuator Installation

It might help
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks for all your help SportsDad. I got it finished about an hour and a half ago. Not too bad a job considering all......I guess

Good News is: Since I own a CrewCab, now all I have is three more to go!!!!
Yep. Believe it or not, all four were not working. And I thought if I fixed the driver's side, that would fix them all, but I guess there are 3 other seperate motors in each 3 doors remaining, huh?

I got short on time today, so the only thing I did different, was I used zip ties instead of the self tapping screws. It tightened it up pretty well, plus it saved me a trip to the hardware store.

If it makes you feel better I got my right index finger knuckle right as I was finishing up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.