first post, with question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first post, with question

Hello all! I have been looking for a 7.3 crew cab for quite some time and i think that i have found one i really like. I have a few questions and statements about the vehicle. It is a 2001 crew cab, 4x4, long bed, 74k miles, ranch hand front bumper, b&w 5th wheel hitch, fresh paint, edge chip, k&n intake and new BFG A/T tires. Problems are it is a theft recovery, so it will hard to get a loan for, the speedo isnt working and the PDL and the PW for the passenger side dont functin when using the controls on driver door.

my questions are:
could the speedo just be the sensors located on the rear axle?
could the switches on the driver side have just gone bad?

are there common occurances with these issues... would you buy the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would stear clear of that truck. Usualy if the speed sensor in the rear goes it throws a antilock light as well as the od light. Who knows wht the actual milege is. The swithches could be worn out or broke but I have not seen to many threads on the window switch issues which tells me if the switch is worn it has had the heck run out of it. Have you ever heard the term drive it like you stole it. There are a lot of things that can happen when somthing is stollen. For instance a few nutral drops combined with a Edge could cost you $3000.00 off the bat.

And welcome to the ORG.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input! the odometer is still rolling... i left that part out. and also when the guy bought the truck from the auction it came with the original title, dont know if that would make a difference, and all the add ons were put on after the current owner purchased it. he also ran all maintance checks...

Last edited by JsHwrdul; 08-12-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: left info out
Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

anyone else?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

I personally wouldn't buy a theft recovery truck. You don't know what the theif could have done to it. I would keep looking and you will probably find a better one .
Old 08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would stay away as well. Just take your time and dont jump into anything. Something else will pop up. If it was stolen and took on a joyride there could be major issues pop up in the future i.e.: tranmission, suspension, drivetrain, electrical. Just my opinion, but I have been down that road too many times. Just wait and keep looking and yo will probably be happy you did!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the org! Bunch of good guys hear that can really help you out.

Ask for everyones advice but make your own decision!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, happy to be here!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

I agree, but will add one thing: If you have plans to upgrade/replace those parts anyway (depends on purchase price) and have basic mechanical skills this may be a good deal. If that's the case I wouldn't worry so much about the mechanicals as the sheet metal and frame, which can cost as much (or more) to repair than the mechanicals, and may never be correctly fixed. Also, check for excessive rust under the cab and mounting points on the frame. Have an experienced body shop check such things as panel alignments, frame welds and attaching points and frame straightness. You might also want to invest in having a reputable electrical shop check the wiring.

I personally don't have the time or money to mess with a truck like this (though it's the right cab/frame combo for me) and would look elsewhere. However, it's your truck and your $$$ and time going into it, so the choice is ultimatly yours. Good luck in your hunt.

Welcome!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think that it could be a great deal. Especially if you realize heading in that there could be problems and use that to get a better deal. Personally I would drive and inspect the truck very thoroughly and see if it drives like a truck with 74K should. like someone else said take it to someone you trust and get it looked over as well. Don't be scared of it, but be aware.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

A couple vehicles ago I bought a teft recovery vehicle. It was a 2000 Expedition fully loaded with the drug dealer package (huge wheels, chameleon paint, tons of screens, etc). It came with a branded (salvage) title as Im assuming yours would aswell. Right off the bat a salvage branded vehicle is worth HALF of book value. People will give you a song and dance about how nothing was wrong with it blah blah. I bought the truck for next to nothing and drove it for about a year and sold it after parting most of it out. If you can pick up the truck for next to nothing I would go for it but if you are want for a reliable daily driver that you want to keep long term, keep looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.