Block Heater? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Govy Magnet

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater?

Howdy Fellas! Well I am confused at where I can find an aftermarket block heater, and what it actually does?! I understand the concept (keeps fluids, especially fuel) at a stable above freezing temperature to keep from gelling) but all the Diesels I work on, use ether assist if they are started in cold weather...not much of that in the desert. My truck didn't come with a block heater. How hard would it be to install one? What all is needed? Any help would be appreciated, I don't have the slightest idea where to start, and google has been no help, along with the search button.

~Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your truck may have a block heater just no cord. Look at the oil filter housing. Right next to it should be a place for a cord to plug into it. That is the block heater. If that is not there then you will need the whole block heater kit. You can order this from ford, or powerstrokeshop.com, or you can find them on ebay.

One thing though is it does not keep the fuel tank warm. It will keep the fuel in the fuel filter housing warm though.

Unless you are moving to cold climate you really don't need it in cali. I know I been there. You sure don't need it at 29 stumps. But if your having cold start issues. You should diagnose the glow plugs.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Govy Magnet

Yessir you are correct, there is no real need for one in 29 stumps, kind of haha, this year we had over a foot of snow in Yucca, and my buddies with diesels were having trouble...it does get reallllly cold at night especially on a clear night. Quite honestly, I have not started it yet, still 4000 miles away from it. Wish I could thats for sure! I would go out and inspect to see if I have the block heater and cord, but again can't. I was just looking at where and how much it would be. I have quite a few friends that live in Colorado, Utah, areas and we travel up there a few times a year, and it is coooold up there! Also I plan on living in a colder area whenever that comes around, just want to be prepared.

~Phil
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I was at 29stumps once and I woke up to about 4 inches of snow on the ground. No cold weather gear. But the smart man I am from Michigan. I always have sweat pants and sweat shirt. So I put that on under my coveralls and I was good to go. BTW the last time I was there Camp Wilson looks a lot better then the time before that. Really nice to see those new huts they have out there.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Govy Magnet

Camp Wilson has improved quite a bit, and those huts, are great when its warmer...but they acted like radiators while we were there (untill it snowed). we had a thermometer in there, and in the mornings it would be in the low teens, one morning it was 5degrees F! Our body heat created condensation on the roof of the thing, so anything you had leaning up against the wall was soaked! We have poly pro that we get issued now, those are nice, and fleeces. When I got out here there was still snow on the ground (I am in a northern part) sheesh that was cold! Didn't think of this country would be that cold haha. Thanks for the input, I knew it didn't heat the fuel tank, but I was just looking at getting one and throwing it on there. Now I really can't wait to go home and see this baby! All I have is pictures! I had most of the stuff in my signature installed while I was out here...that way I wouldn't eat up my post deploy leave on installing everything, and spend some time with my family.

~Phil
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Your truck came with a block heater and a cord, it wasn't until ( IIRC) 2004 or 2005 that the cord became a option, but the heater is still there. The cord can be hard to locate if never used, look at the base of the oil filter, you will see a cord coming from the base, follow it towards the front of the truck. If it has never been used it will be zip tied up in there. Take my advice and do the Marinco mod, you will thank me later. I think I have pics in my sig. No need to heat the fuel in temps you are in, but I would add diesel kleen to your winter fuel to make sure it doesn't gel. Any fuel bought locally should already be treated for the temps of that area, but better safe than sorry.
NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.