HELP : truck runs rough , with intermittent water in fuel light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP : truck runs rough , with intermittent water in fuel light

hi
i got a a early 99 f250 7.3 , auto trans . the truck runs really rough all the time . water in fuel light goes on any off . has no power an when it shifts it shifts really hard like a drag race trans . when it shifts in to overdrive its really bad . it kinda feels like a pluged fuel filter but it doesnt cut out . just the loss of power big time . takes long time to build up rpms going down road. feels like it needs more fuel ? but i done know .
any help would be great . thanks please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Hey there, First thing you should do is check for codes, see what comes up and clear them, then run the truck for a bit and see what codes come up again. Make sure you keep the codes that come up, the techs can tell you what they mean.

Check all the cooler tubes for leaking, 4 inter cooler (blue) and 2 y manifold (red)
change the fuel filter, and drain the water separator.
These trucks will run bad if the oil is dirty or low.
Check the injectors to make sure they are working properly, buzz and contribution tests.
Check the electrical components of the fuel system.
Check the flux capacitor, and change the signal fluid, or at least top it up.
Then have a coffee.
Good luck, and there will be more people here to help any time you need it.

Gord.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Change the fuel filter and drain the housing.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
Hey there, First thing you should do is check for codes, see what comes up and clear them, then run the truck for a bit and see what codes come up again. Make sure you keep the codes that come up, the techs can tell you what they mean.

Check all the cooler tubes for leaking, 4 inter cooler (blue) and 2 y manifold (red)
change the fuel filter, and drain the water separator.
These trucks will run bad if the oil is dirty or low.
Check the injectors to make sure they are working properly, buzz and contribution tests.
Check the electrical components of the fuel system.
Check the flux capacitor, and change the signal fluid, or at least top it up.
Then have a coffee.
Good luck, and there will be more people here to help any time you need it.

Gord.
how do u check codes , an do buzz and contribution tests ? dont ask how cause i dont know , but what happens when some one put gas an diesel ? thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 08:52 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Depends how much gas are we talking here. I put 3 gallons once in my truck on accident long day hunting I was tired and needed fuel. Didn't even realize it until I smelled gas instead of diesel. I stopped pumping and started to fill it up with diesel. I filled the tank so full that diesel was coming out of the filler neck. I put 30 gallons of diesel in compared to the 3 gallons of gas. I drove it and then when the tank was empty I replaced the fuel filter, I have not had a problem with it at all.

Are you talking about driving on straight gas or a situation like what I did. Gas will tear up a diesel engine.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

If too much gas was put in the tank, then that would account for the roughness, in running, as BC said above, 2 or 3 gall in a full tank is not a big problem and you can work through it. But if it is a major amount, drain the tank, change out the filter, and drain the fuel bowl, and put a good conditioner in it. If your not sure how much was put in, I would assume the worst case scenario and drain it out. Get that done and see how it runs first, If it's still running bad, check the rest of it out.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.