Lowering my lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowering my lift

I just did a round trip to Austin and back to Houston, averaged 13 mpg on the highway babying it, running a half bottle of diesel kleen in both tanks. My chip was set to Eco the whole way never changed it. I know my truck isn't going to get anything outstanding, but i was hoping for something better than 13 mpg when not even towing anything. I've been thinking about lowering my lift for a while and this just about made up my mind.

I see my lift is set up on two blocks front and rear, a 4" block with a 2" block stacked on top. Also i believe i have 3 added leaf springs on my front axle, compared to how many i have on my rear axle. Although that may be how it comes, i'm sure you guys would know more than me. My question is, if i take out the 4 2" blocks i have out from under each set of leaf springs and drop my truck 2", will everything still preform properly? Will it sit lopsided or is there more i need to do? It can't really be that simple...right?

Right now my plan is pretty simple, take off my wheels, slip out the 2" blocks, put the wheels back in place...and that's about it. Any info or tips on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 PM

so you have a 6 in lift lift and 32 in tires? i dont know if lowering it will make much off a difference on mpg? i have 35's and I get 15 putting my foot in it a little,
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Oh i see well good luck with it.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just took a trip to Atlantic city and my final average was 18.8 mpg I have a 10 inch lift with 38 inch tires. It probobly helps that I have a 6 speed though.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 AM

It's not really the lift that causes poor mileage. It's the tire size change and in most cases the gearing that causes a change in mileage. I still have 373 ratio gears with a 38 inch tall tire and a 6 spedd so I can cruise down the highway at 85 mph and stay rite around 2,000 rpm I was having a problem with fuel mileage and it actually turned out to be the copper washers on a couple of my injectors causing the problem. I couldn't figure it out untill I took the injectors out to put in my swamps ones and my fuel mileage jumped back up.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Big_Stroker
I don't think taking out your lift will do you any good. I average 18mpg on the interstate at 75mph with 35's and 3.73 gears.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Stripping your lift is going to do next to nothing for your mileage. As stated, tire mass and gear ratio are the largest factors in hampering or helping mileage, aside from engine condition, drive train set up, and driving habits. My truck averages 20mpg highway if I keep to the speed control. Stock height, 3.73 gears, 285/75r16 BFG ATs. Yes, Blizzard is a 4x4.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter04 View Post
My question is, if i take out the 4 2" blocks i have out from under each set of leaf springs and drop my truck 2", will everything still preform properly? Will it sit lopsided or is there more i need to do? It can't really be that simple...right?

Right now my plan is pretty simple, take off my wheels, slip out the 2" blocks, put the wheels back in place...and that's about it. Any info or tips on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.

I do not believe that it is that easy. You would need a new trac bar bracket for a 4" lift so it would not push the axle over. Steering should be fine but you might have to adjust it a little to get the steering wheel stright. But i dont think that lowering the truck is going to to do anything for your fuel economy. Not sure if its the same way on the 7.3 but most people say the hotter tunes yeild better MPG.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Big_Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 F2-Fifty View Post
I do not believe that it is that easy. You would need a new trac bar bracket for a 4" lift so it would not push the axle over. Steering should be fine but you might have to adjust it a little to get the steering wheel stright. But i dont think that lowering the truck is going to to do anything for your fuel economy. Not sure if its the same way on the 7.3 but most people say the hotter tunes yeild better MPG.
I wouldn't say that. With some tuners it is true with the ones the know what they are doing though there economy files are the best
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Stroker View Post
I wouldn't say that. With some tuners it is true with the ones the know what they are doing though there economy files are the best
Thanks. I wasnt sure how it was with diffrent tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.