I Need Service Manual Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I Need Service Manual Help!

I have an early 99 and the battery light is on but the volts is at 14 or so. I am troubleshooting with a 2000 sevrice manual I was told by ford that it should be the same. My question is, if the manuals discription states "Battery light on and voltage increases" does that mean the volt gauge shows normal volts or higher than normal volts? Because there is also a troubleshooting discription that states "Battery light on and voltage does not increase" does that mean no volts or normal volts? Seems confusing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What are you using to measure your volts? A volt meter I hope.
If i'm not mistaken, the factory voltage gauge (if you have one) is just simply an on/off switch. It will not give an accurate reading of the voltage (I think).
If the battery light is on, it's got to be either one or both of the batteries, or the alternator not charging them.
My alternator went last year, and that was my first symptom...battery light.
I know it is primitive, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet, get yourself one of those cheapo battery/alternator hand held testers and test them both. I bet it will help.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Govy Magnet

The light normally does mean the alternator is starting to crap the bed. I would buy a Haynes manual (not trying to promote stuff) but I love that manual. Got one for my F150, and will be getting one when I get back for my F250...best 30 bucks or so I ever spent. It will have whole wiring diagrams and schematics in the back. Great source for help with other things as well, from replacing the water pump, to fuse panels etc.!

~Phil
Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the input guys, I did check the voltage with a meter, and I pulled the alt. took it to NAPA they of course said it was bad. That was the direction I was leaning in, I installed and the bat light went out. As mater a fact it never even came on, that means I got a bad one. I even had the guy check the new one before I left with it. I need a diagram for early 99 specific they are different than the rest. Anyone got one they would be willin to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.