GM guy thinking of buying a ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GM guy thinking of buying a ford

Well let me start off by saying hello and im new to this site and after this weekend i will be the new owner of a used 2000 ford f550 70k 4x4 7.3 psd.

I own a concrete/snow plowing company and im looking to replace 2 trucks with one ( summer only 2wd dump15k gvw and winter only 4wd dump12k gvw
so i dont have to hear one ford should replace all of your gm's lol) truck that i can use all year round.

i joined this site to see what problems to expect, things to look out for, and so on. This site ill have to admit has lots and lots of info on the bulk of the problems that these trucks have. I have been reading here for the past 2 days and im now going to go out and pick up a cps for the truck to keep in the glove box and also going to price out a new tranny.

i havent picked up the truck yet so i cannot say which of the brands i like better, im hoping to be impressed with the truck and look towards buying maybe another ford. I have a fleet of over 13 gmc's and untill now wouldnt have it any other way.

I guess for the question part of my post would be:

What are the absolute must have additions to the truck? i dont mean cd player or rim type of add ons. i mean like , must put bigger tranny cooler on or you will cook the tranny. Like with my new gmc, i had to upgrade the tierod ends because they were prone to failing. stuff like that. This will be a work truck and it wont be uncommon for me to be pulling 15k+ loaded trailers, and pushing snow for 8-12 hours straight. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Jesse.James
Since you are getting a 7.3 your problems should be few and far between...atleast mine have been. The CPS is a good idea and you might want to upgrade to the 6.0 tranny cooler (im assuming it is an automatic). If you get the truck and find you would like a little more power you can upgrade the exhaust and intake and put a chip in it relatively cheap. Also i would recommend your first purchase be some gauges especially since you are going to be pushing and pulling alot. Im sure you will get alot more opinions here soon.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Another GM guy gone Ford. I feel ya. After owning 23 GMs, I bought a 2000 F-450. That F-550 you got is one honkin' work truck. I can't advise too much cuz I'm new as well. I can tell you that upgrading to an aftermarket or DIY intake will help HP/TQ and protect your engine. Also, consider a good chip or tuner. Even my ****ty SuperChips tuner gives a bunch of TQ over stock.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes it is an automatic tranny, is there any advantage to the 6.0 cooler than just a big aftermarket cooler?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jesse.James
i honestly dont know because i have a 6 spd but i would think any bigger cooler would be better.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM

If you are going to plow with this rig, add a larger trans cooler with a thermostatically controlled electric fan. there is plenty of room behind the grille with a little trimming. if you are interested in this install, I can put up part #'s

"if I'd have bought a plow last fall, I'd be retired right now"
Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Welcome to the ORG all of you GM guys! The 6.0 cooler is a good one, but they can get kinda spendy. I think other guys also run the tru-cool 40k. You should really like your 7.3. Nice to see you found one with low miles too!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 PM

if you chip it... make sure you get customs tunes. . .
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Yep. you have to get either tony wildman, dp tuner, or PHP tunes. Custom is the only way to go.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to get cumstom tunes dont you need a custom tuner? not just an out of the box tuner? yes i am interested in the part numbers. buy the way, if i put a custome fan there, would i be getting rid of the stock fan???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.