Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Steering Damper Confusion

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Brydawg512 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Well, long story short I am going to be redoing my front ball joints, followed by the installation of a Bilstein 5100 Series steering damper. This should be an easy installation, but I am stumped.. Mostly because the guy who owned the truck before me removed one of the steering damper brackets..

Now, if the example photo attached correctly, it will show your 2 connection points for the damper. The connection point on your left when looking at the photo I have (I don't have a bolt or anything for it.. Do I need one, or does that come with a damper??), but the second connection point on the tie rod I don't have. I have looked online for that second bracket, with crumby luck.

I found the following (Bracket I need is part #11 on diagram): https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/2000-ford-f-250-super-duty-parts.html

I was unable to tell from the website if the bracket comes with the needed bolts or not, which makes it all very confusing.

Is anyone able to lead me in the direction of both new brackets with needed hardware (bolts, nuts, etc.)? If not, do you think if I called the dealership they would be able to supply me with both of these brackets and hardware?

Thanks in advance.. This is really starting to confuse and tick me off if you can't tell lol :)

- Bryant :Ford:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The link for the bracket that you provided did not work, but I did buy the bracket from a local dealership a few years ago. It does not come with any of the mounting hardware.

To secure the bracket to the tie rod, you'll need two u-bolts. I used black oxide 3/8-16 thread size, 1.5 inch ID X 2.5 inch height u-bolts that I sourced from McMaster.com. I tried to find locally, but I couldn't find at any of my normal sources.

To mount the damper to both brackets (one attached to steering knuckle and the new bracket), I just sourced screws washers and nuts locally (Ace Hardware). I can't remember the size off the top of my head, but I went overkill with Grade 8 bolts.

#3 ·
Ok, thank you very much for your response here, it was very helpful.

Now, I called down to Ford and they gave me the part numbers for all the parts I need, but the guy kept saying the bracket goes on the drag link (Rod running from steering gearbox). Is this true, or does this still go on tie Rod?

Thanks

#6 ·
Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.