Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Belt squealing is driving me nuts!

23K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  DaveP. 
#1 ·
I've installed new idler and tensioner and a new Motorcraft belt. The 7.3 is loud enough without a squealing belt, this is awful.
I've tried;
A Goodyear Gatorback belt (vibrated real bad at idle, too it off)
belt dressing (made it worse)
silicone lubricant (quiets it for 5 minutes)
Lithium grease (works for 5 minutes also)
Soap (lasted 10 minutes) I got encouraged....
Someone told me to urinate on the belt... I'm not trying that, those pulley look like they'd hurt!:laugh2:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what will stop this thing from sounding like a space ship coming down the road.

#5 ·
Same with my water pump. But it was a chirping noise. Then a huge puddle of coolant.

#6 · (Edited)
On a side note make sure you get the right belt. One is 2 inches longer than the other.

#7 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I've just replaced the water pump along with the idler and tensioner. I think it would have to be the belt making the noise because when I spray silicone or put a bar of soap up to it, the noise does stop for 5-10 minutes.

Blue99stroker, you may have something there. The Ford tech put the belt on it when he was doing the idler and tensioner. He may have unknowingly put the longer belt on it. I'll order another (3rd one) belt and see if there is a difference.

I learned something interesting for anyone that is going to replace their belt. The first belt I installed was a Goodyear Continental Elite but that belt caused a terrible vibration. It only did it when the engine was idling, and I could see the belt flexing a good 1.5". That belt is hanging in the barn now.

#8 ·
have you replaced your alternator recently ??

Lots of them run a smaller pulley which reduces the tension on the belt. If so shim it up a 1/2" with washers to get the same tension back on your belt. If not you may try throwing some washers under it anyways to tighten up the belt.

Also if you have sprayed lots of crap on the belt to stop it from squealing you may need to clean it to stop it from squealing.

#9 ·
I have the exact same problem, previous owner has installed a new tensioner already and the belt "looks" good. I am going to put a new idler on and see what happens, then belt if still chirping.

Funny thing is that this truck had a massive oil leak from HPOP when I bought it that the guy must have drove on for months...I degreased and hosed down the whole engine compartment and after that the squeak went away for a couple weeks but it's back!

I cannot see any ps fluid or anything else leaking onto it, but yes its annoying!

#10 ·
The alternator looks to be the original. The truck has 45,000 miles on it, so I don't think it has been replaced. I know that 45K isn't many miles to have replaced the water pump, but I've been told that the seals dry out and they leak, so I thought I'd get ahead of the game as I depend on the truck with my family.

Here is another interesting thing I've learned. My oil cooler was damp with oil and the seals have dried up and started to leak a little. My Ford tech told me that this is common with the 7.3 right now. Because of age, the seals have dried up and need to be replaced.
Now, here's the interesting part; He told me that he very seldom works on 7.3's due to their notorious reliability, he just doesn't see many in his shop. (6.0's keep him busy) He said that in 2015 he has replaced four 7.3 engines due to the oil coolers rusting through on the inside, letting coolant into the oil system and trashing the engine.

For this reason he recommended that I install a new oil cooler, even though it only had 45,000 miles on it. I didn't want to do this as it added $300 to an already expensive repair bill. But,,, the more I thought about it the more it bothered me, so I went ahead and replaced the oil cooler as well. When I picked the truck up from him, he showed me the old oil cooler, and sure enough, it was well rusted on the inside just as he said it would be. He told me that anyone with a 7.3, (if they value their engine) should be doing this before they meet an $8,000 repair bill.

I spoke with Jennifer at the Dieselsite. She told me that the Dorman (el cheapo) oil coolers have been doing well for them. That's what I used (from Advance Auto) and the tech said it looked to be as good quality wise as the Ford Motorcraft coolers.

Reactions: joebuck
#14 ·
Belt noise, particularly "chirping" is caused by misalignment between pullies. Usually where the span between pullies is short. Just the slightest misalignment into the next pulley in line causes noise. Pay attention to the power steering pump pulley, which is pressed on, and can be mis-positioned if removed. The water test is confirmation of a mis-aligned pulley, if the chirping stops. If the water increases the squeal, its a tension problem.

Casually ask your mechanic if he removed the power steering pulley while he was working on it. If so, that's where'd I'd be looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.