Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

upgrade compressor wheels

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
using the stock turbo, in you guys opinions who makes the wheel with the most boost? it seems there are many wheel options in various prices i at present have a banks wheel but what is better? is this wicked wheel 2 the king it seems everyone has the wheel that ya need well id like to know which one is the grand pobah of the stock turbo wheels on the market today

#3 ·
I like my riffraff wheel but it's noisy. It's the old 6/6 design, they have since switched to 4/4.

I'd say the bd wheel is the best for a few different reasons.

It has crazy fast spool up, the riffraff wheel has amazing top end but doesn't spool like the bd wheel in my dads 7.3. Also the BD wheel is quiet to boot. My dad runs the 6637 and you hardly hear any turbo noise.

We went and got a Christmas tree yesterday and the whole family piled in my truck. Everyone was asking what that infernal sound was, it my compressor wheel lol so we just turned the radio up lol

#5 ·
The old RiffRaff wheel is too darn loud at even cruise rpms. Some kids like that though, so that might be the one you're after.
I'm actually swapping out an old RiffRaff to a BD for a customer who can't handle the noise anymore haha.
I'd like to try the new RiffRaff and WW2 wheels, but with BD being proven to work well and local to me it just makes sense to keep using it.

In my truck I have a 1.15 housing so boost is non existent below 2000rpm, but once the turbo starts to light I can go from 10psi to 35+ in the blink of an eye.

#9 ·
I've been well thanks.
I got tired of giving my internet provider $70 a month so I cancelled our services here. The reason I haven't been on much in the past few months is that I have a limited amount of phone data and this site is kind of a pain on a phone :)
But now winter is here and it's too cold in the garage so i'll be checking in a little more often

#7 ·
I run the Riff Raff wheel I think the old design and yes its loud at 75mph. On the hot tunes I usually see 34psi of boost.

#8 ·
I see the same numbers lightning. Good to know

The rr wheel is only annoying cruising uphill. It sits between 5-10 psi and howls!

#10 ·
not one word about the banks wheel hmmmm thanks guys

#11 ·
The banks wheel is just a ww1 or e99 cast wheel. Nothing special.

#12 ·
As stated above,the banks wheel is just a version of the ww1 or e99 wheel it will only help fix compressor surge no performance what so ever,so to get the best of both worlds (fixing compressor surge and performance gain) would be buy a reputable billet wheel,i.e. Riff Raff wheel,BD wheel,WW2

#13 · (Edited)
Thats good news because you know ya buy things from someone like banks with the understanding that it is the goods when in reality its not i have a banks stinger 2 kit which i thought was a good kit from a reputable place i mean gale banks goes back a long way. i got the 4" stainless exhaust which is nice and the quick turbo housing that in all honesty isnt quick imop but never the less i paid for it, the trans command seems ok, the otto mind chip i was told was for towing and gave an increase in power but wouldnt let the engine hurt itself, the compressor wheel is supposed to give all this extra power its nice to know there is way better out there i guess thats why i am here i always had the stock airbox with the banks airfilter whoop de doo. i did the 6637 mod and noticed a big diff right away in response and sound ( thank you riff raff ) it just sucks to have spent the money and not really gotten anything except a nice exhaust so thanks for these opinions keep em coming i really really appreciate it i just dont want to get into an airplane discussion because i want my truck to sound like a jet engine LOL mark p.s. i tow alot and i have my foot in it usually and i can say that i have ever had this surge thing that everyone seems to have a problem with so i am not sure just what surge is?

#14 ·
i think ill try the foil delete and the ccv next. when they say HPOP are they talking about the actual oil pump or the fuel pump? isnt the oil pump inside the bottom end?

#15 ·
The hpop is the high pressure oil pump.
The hpop is under the fuel bowl. The lpop is behind the front cover.

You never got surge because the banks wheel doesn't usually suffer from surge.

Banks hard parts are great quality.

Also the 1.0 housing is quick spool for the obs, it's bigger than the .84 stock housing on the superdutys.

A bigger turbine housing also helps with surge and egts.

#16 ·
ok so then the hpop is the oil pump huh an external mounted eng oil pump? hmmm they seem to have plenty of oil pressure so i dont understand an hpop mod or ? and ipop? dont even know what that is, and as far as the 1.0 housing? it aint quick to me i mean quick is like "right now" in my book. so with the wide variety of compressor wheels out there which ever one i get the turbine housing will aid in whatever problems i could possibly have? including this surge issue? can you discribe this surge issue? is it like cavatation? what is the obs? i think my egts were like 900 when towing, racing someone with the trailer behind me it was like 1200 maybe i think my boost was about 22 never much more. thanks mr blue99stroker

#17 ·
these injectors are ran by the high pressure oil pump. its stock and used on lots of CAT/int'l equipment.

they are called HEUI injectors.

The 1.0 housing is an upgrade. you sacrifice a tiny bit of spool up to achieve better top end power with lower egts and less backpressure.

If you want maximum spool up go with the BD billet wheel. my dad has one on his truck and it spools quick.

You wont suffer from surge so its fine. The e99 wheel and 1.0 housing took care of any potential surge issues.

22 psi Max boost sounds about right with the 1.0 turbine housing. the BD billet wheel will net you another 5-6 psi on the top end.

#18 ·
hmmm ok so the injectors are operated by the hpop i sort of thought a rocker arm activated them like a normal diesel does this hpop also supply oil to the bottom end? like is this THE engines main oil pump? and for the spool up you say the BD wheel is the way to go? what about that sound i heard through reading here that that BD wheel is quiet? can i have a whistle and quick? lol hey i am learnin and i appreciate it i really do. let me ask ya sir i have read about the gtp38r turbo and thought id possible get one of those big compressor housings with a bigger wheel and perhaps add one of those banks power elbows so i can get the full 4" coming off the turbine side what would you think about this combination ? if i understand correctly the 38r has ball bearings and thats the main difference plus a few mm larger good talkin with ya p.s. i also considered the banks power elbow for the gtp38r also for the same reason just dont know if it will adapt.

#19 ·
If I wasn't deployed right now I would give you a ride in mine so you could hear what the BD wheel sounds like. You can hear it in mine. I am running 4 inch exhaust straight piped and 6637 air cleaner. I am thinking of going to a diy kc66 turbo so if you don't mind waiting until April/May when I get home I will give you a good deal on mine. I've had mine in for about 4000 miles or so. Love it, but need new injectors so getting new injectors and new turbo. And I am more than willing to help out if you need any help when I get home. I have an AE to assist if you need that as well.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#20 ·
I have a ww2 and it spools quick, PSI drops less in between shifts with the zf6, than stock wheel. passing on the freeway is really fun with the ww2 also. Ive never ridden in a truck with a BD so I cant offer a fair comparison.

#21 ·
The BD wheel has 9 blades that are all the same height.

My RR wheel looks like the ww2 but with 2 extra blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.