cam sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
cam sensor

If a cam sensor fails, does the truck not start at all? would it run intermittentally? Or possible both?
Will it leave a code?
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
usually the engine will cut of at idle or somethimes while driving. normally it will start right back up. but they are funny censors so if you even suspect a failure then get it changed. its a recall so you might as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM

if it failsvwill it set a code?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No. no code.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM

where exactly is this? under front pass side? right near the balancer?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

On the front of the engine to the left of the WP, you will see a small wire harness going to it and a 10mm bolt holding it in place.
When mine went it left a code and every other PSD that I have scanned for the same problem it also left a code. But I have heard of others not having a code, not sure if they are using the correct scan tool, but if someone like Southpaw says "no code" I believe him. These sensors can do funny things, usually when they go out it will be like someone just shut the key off, and it will not start!!! That is why you should carry a spare and the tools to change one on the side of the road, guess how I know!! But sometimes it will be intermintent, where it will hick-up or even die , but then it will restart. But when it toally fails you won't be going anywhere. Just be glad they aren't $175 any more. Ford, and many tow trucks, made a lot of money because of this sensor!!

nch
Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
On the front of the engine to the left of the WP, you will see a small wire harness going to it and a 10mm bolt holding it in place.
When mine went it left a code and every other PSD that I have scanned for the same problem it also left a code. But I have heard of others not having a code, not sure if they are using the correct scan tool, but if someone like Southpaw says "no code" I believe him. These sensors can do funny things, usually when they go out it will be like someone just shut the key off, and it will not start!!! That is why you should carry a spare and the tools to change one on the side of the road, guess how I know!! But sometimes it will be intermintent, where it will hick-up or even die , but then it will restart. But when it toally fails you won't be going anywhere. Just be glad they aren't $175 any more. Ford, and many tow trucks, made a lot of money because of this sensor!!

nch

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not
I can only speak for sure about my experience with the cam sensor. When mine went on my 97, there wasn't a code set(read with a buddies EVO). Or at least not one that mentioned a CPS.
I haven't heard of any other trucks that had tripped a code when it went either. Maybe I havent been paying enough attention Wouldn't be the first time What are you using to read your codes? What code was it?
When mine went it was intermittent for a short period, and then finally stranded me on the side of the road. Lots of guys have intermittent problems. I always thought it was a little harder to diagnose for sure cause it didn't throw a code. Sure we always suggest replacing that first when the symptoms are there, but if there were a code it would be a no brainer.
I didn't know much about them when mine went. Wish I did, Ford soaked me for over $300 for the repair Now I have a black 182172OC99 in my glove box and one more in the shop.
I think it's funny that they charged that much for that long. It was a safety problem from 94-03 and they knew all about it, and chose to do nothing(except rake in the dough). It wasn't until about 5 years after production of the 7.3 had stopped, that they decided to lower the price and do a "safety recall". HA!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Correct me if I'm wrong.... (my '02 has the original in it and I'm waiting for it to give me trouble )

If one day your truck just won't start, look at the Tach. If the needle doesn't move at all while cranking the first thing you should suspect is the CAM sensor. Just change it right there and then (I too carry the tools and a "black IH" replacement)
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.... (my '02 has the original in it and I'm waiting for it to give me trouble )

If one day your truck just won't start, look at the Tach. If the needle doesn't move at all while cranking the first thing you should suspect is the CAM sensor. Just change it right there and then (I too carry the tools and a "black IH" replacement)
No that tach moving is something that only works on 99 and 2000 trucks.

Southpaw,
No I was being serious. I used my SCT programmer and it has read the CPS on code on at least five different trucks.
As for the codes it is usally a P0340, but can be a P0341 or P0344

Take Care

NCH
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK Thx - I guess the guy who told me that had a truck from one of those years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.