can i run B20 bio diesel in my 99 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can i run B20 bio diesel in my 99 7.3?

i can get it locally and i think its the only biodiesel here in Hawaii. will it be ok to run in my 7.3 or do i have to do any mods to run it?? im new to the biodiesel thing...any help is appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No mods-that's point of biodiesel, essentially it works just like regular diesel fuel. Plus if you're in Hawaii you shouldn't have any issues with gelling. Biodiesel tends to gel at higher temperatures than conventional diesel, but my guess is those temperatures are rarely seen where you are. I would guess that you could run B90 with no problems. One thing to watch out for is the solvent properties of biodiesel. If you have a fuel tank with lots of deposits and gunk on the insides it can loosen and wash away the deposits which can then clog your fuel filter and leave you stranded. I'd buy 2 or 3 new filters before filling up for the first time and changing the filter at the first sign of any weird hesitation, etc...
Old 02-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Yep, what Badfish said....and there will definately be clogging of the filters at first with your truck being an older one. On newer trucks less buildup has occured so this isn't as much of a problem. There is a build up on the entire fuel system from the diesel...not just settlement in the tank but deposits from the diesel and the Bio-D will esentially clean your entire fuel system and all those deposits will quickely fill up in the filter. B-20 won't have as much of an effect as B-100 of course but do get you a filter and be ready to replace it probably within the first 1000 miles (2 tanks) of using the Bio-D.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Yeah those two basically got it, you may loose a little fuel economy but just 1-5% but since it is only B20 it may not even be that. I want to start running some bio in the not too distant future.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM

ok. thanks for everyones advice. i really appreciate it. ill let you guys know how it goes. aloha.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

And I too agree with all of the above.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BadF250Boy99
does anyone know at what temperature bio diesel gel's?

ive been debating running biodiesel since its for sale locally

just pump and go?

sounds good to me
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

they sell it locally here in north chicago. and i ran it all winter and didn't have a problem with gelling. and it got down to -23 for a few days in febuarary. this was a cold winter all i did was add a bottle of diesel kleen teh white bottle everytime i filled up with it and they are right change teh filter within teh first 1000 miles.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadF250Boy99 View Post
does anyone know at what temperature bio diesel gel's?

ive been debating running biodiesel since its for sale locally

just pump and go?

sounds good to me
depends PURE biodiesel without ANY additives will start to get a lil slushy around 32 degrees F. But most commercially sold biodiesel has some additives in it to lower that temp. From what I have heard the 7.3 strokers respond very well to biodiesel. Personally I would start with a mix if possible like B20 or so and then work your way up. Since biodiesel is a better solvent than dino-diesel I would watch the fuel filter, since it will most likely clog with all the crap at the bottom of your tank.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokermann View Post
they sell it locally here in north chicago. and i ran it all winter and didn't have a problem with gelling. and it got down to -23 for a few days in febuarary. this was a cold winter all i did was add a bottle of diesel kleen teh white bottle everytime i filled up with it and they are right change teh filter within teh first 1000 miles.
This B20 you were using? Also, I've noticed that Power Service now references biodiesel on their bottles with regards to treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.