Whats needed for wheel bearing R&R - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats needed for wheel bearing R&R

Just what the title says. I got the hub and bearing ordered for a late 99 so i know i will also need a rotor. I hope i caught it before it ate up the shaft i couldnt feel play in the wheel only when i took the hub lock out i could feel a little play in the shaft. I just want to have all of the parts ready so i can do it in one shot (seals special tools whatever). Thanks as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 06:33 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i googled this good luck

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Remove wheel assembly. Remove the brake caliper by removing the caliper anchor plate. Do not hang caliper by the flexible brake hose as this may damage the brake hose. If the caliper is stuck, you can open the master cylinder and the take a wide flathead screwdriver and slightly pry the caliper open. You can do this by wedging the flathead between the brake pads and the rotor. Only a slight movement is neccessary. Remove the brake rotor by sliding it off. Remove the hub snap ring with snap ring plyers or suitable tool. Pull and remove hub lock. Remove snap ring and thrust washer from axle shaft and set aside in the way they came off. Disconnect ABS wheel speed sensor connector, harness and harness routing clips if equipped. (NOTE-rear wheel ABS only vehicles will not have this wire.(hub par #: F81Z1104EE is non-ABS)

2. Remove 4 lock nuts from behind hub. These buts and bolts can sometimes be heavily rusted and corroded. We at AutoPartsDirectToYou do have the factory Ford nuts and bolts available if needed. These are very cheap and usually well worth purchasing beforehand if you are not sure their condition. Otherwise getting stuck without these with the vehicle all apart is a headache. Please call us at 1-866-770-2771 or email us through eBay and we can get you a set. Also when going through our checkout procedure you may be prompted to add those to the shopping cart. After removing the 4 lock nuts, the hub can be removed. The hub and bearings assembly is a slip fit design and should not require a puller.

NOTE: For factory instructions with pictures please email Click the contact seller link to send us an email or call us at 1-866-770-2771!!

Installation

1. Install New Hub & Bearing O-ring (may not be included all all hub bearings). Apply a coat of high temperature wheel bearing grease to O-ring area of hub bearing assembly. Install hub and nuts, replace nuts and studs if damaged. IMPORTANT- Install non-metallic thrust washer between 2 metal thrust washers. Install all 3 washers. (Failure to install these washers properly can cause damage to your new hub bearing assembly).

2. Reverse removal procedure of remaining parts. If your vehicle is equipped with vacuum hub locks, a wheel end vacuum leak test should be done. If you would like instructions on performing that test click here*****. Tighten all remaining bolts and nuts to factory torque specs below.

3. VERY IMPORTANT - Before driving vehicle, pump brake pedal several times to get the pedal high and hard again. If any hydraulic lines were opened a brake bleeding should be done. Usually opening the bleeder and allowing the brakes to gravity bleed is the best method for this. Any questions please call our ASE certified technicians at 1-866-770-2771.

We supply this as informational purposes only and you must decide if
you are capable or mechanically inclined enough to do this repair.

Thanks for reading our guide and here are some links to more of our stuff:

August 5th, 2007
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

Doesnt look too hard looks like i just need that o ring. i thought i read somewhere about a vacuum seal on the inside of the bearing or is that the oring mentioned? Thank you and about how long did it take to do looks to me like about 2 hours?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2 hours for both, seal you need for vacuume I believe is ford 81z-1s175-hca
thats the one for back of hub. Their is also a larger seal thats for dirt that goes into axle housing
part number f81z-3254-cb also ford number
o ring ford f81z-4a322aa
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Wow even got the p/n thanks a ton man i really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.