Driveshaft Questions Need Help!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Driveshaft Questions Need Help!!!!

I have my rear driveshaft tore apart now. It is a one piece shaft. I have 2 questions I need ansewered.
1) At the rear of the shaft where it connects to rear differential there is the slip spline and the slip yoke that goes over it. On the end of the slip yoke under the u joint there is a dust cover. Mine is missing and I made a new one but does the cover have a hole in it for like water to drain or anything? Im not sure how water could get in there but just curious. If someone could please check there truck or if you alreay know let me know?
2) I am going to grease the spline shaft and was wondering how much grease should I put on it before I put the slip yoke back on?

Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine didn't have a hole in it, but I was wondering too about water.

I put in a whole tube of the special XG8 grease that the dealer sells for the splines. It was 8 oz I believe, but I don't know if I was supposed to use it all, I just did. It was real tough to slide the splined shaft back in with all that grease, and I had to work it with a large prybar while pausing to let the excess grease "fart" it's way out. When I got done there was a couple tablespoons worth inside the boot, I just zip tied it back in place with the excess grease in there. It made a big difference in my truck, the acceleration thump after stopping went away completely, it feels like a new truck again.

Hopefully some experts will chime in on how much grease to use.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok thanks. I guess I wont put a hole in my cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.