4R100 and ATF question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 4R100 and ATF question

So, I just bought my first PSD. It's an 01' SuperDuty Lariat. I love the truck btw.

Anyway, I just checked the fluid level and it was running warm while in neutral, and on level ground. I pulled the stick and it was just right at the lowest warm level. I figured I would add some ATF, so I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought some Dexron III

My question is:

Is it alright to just top it off with the good Dexron III, even though I have no knowledge on the history of this transmission? I'm thinking this transmission could have been redone, or replaced already because I have 198,xxx miles on the truck. I just bought it and I have no clue on the truck's history.

I really don't wanna flush the tranny fluid or really even change it for that matter either. It looks clean to start with and it runs fine, so I don't wanna mess with it. I don't want to run it low either, so is it okay just to add a quart or two of the Dexron III?????

My future plans are to add the Tru-Cool trans cooler (add-on to the current cooler). If I do this how much more tranny fluid would it most likely take? And would it be alright just to top it off then too? (Once I get the new cooler installed)???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I would refer to your owners manual for the correct transmission fluid type for the 4R100. Pretty sure you should be running Mercon only, putting in just any trans fluid will most likely damage your tranny.

If you just drain the tranny pan and change the filter only I believe a top off is 6-7 quarts. If you are flushing all trans fluid with an air hose by way of the cooler lines a complete refill is 17 quarts.

I am sure the local auto parts guy will tell you different but most guys on this site have forgotten more than they will ever know! DONT USE JUST ANY ATF!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've read so far is that either Mercron or Dexron, or better yet, the Mercron III and Dexron III are the same designate, and is labeled sometimes as Mercron/Dexron III. That's what I put in there. It said it was for Ford vehicles requiring Mercron, and Dexron III

Take a look at this:

What trans fluid and how much
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Just add more of the proper fluid. Even the best flush will leave some of the old fluid in there.

When I added my tru-cool I also needed to add a surprising amount of atf to get it full. I happened to have a few quarts of mobile 1 synthetic atf on the shelf so I used it. Pretty sure it took almost three quarts.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've read so far is that either Mercron or Dexron, or better yet, the Mercron III and Dexron III are the same designate, and is labeled sometimes as Mercron/Dexron III. That's what I put in there. It said it was for Ford vehicles requiring Mercron, and Dexron III

Take a look at this:

I read the same post! I think your response is accurate and you are on the right track. I used Coastal DEX/MERC in my truck and am comfortable with my choice. I was considering Amsoil or Royal Purple but was not ready to do a complete tranny flush.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 AM

There is a fluid called dex/merc, it is dexron III/ mercon III. your 4r100 takes mercon V.
Merc III doesnt have the friction modifiers that Merc V.
Just run mercV and dont worry about the rest
Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschert_72 View Post
There is a fluid called dex/merc, it is dexron III/ mercon III. your 4r100 takes mercon V.
Merc III doesnt have the friction modifiers that Merc V.
Just run mercV and dont worry about the rest

I am going to have to disagree with you!

Follow the link below, I think this is a good source of information and although some believe Mercon V is ok I wouldnt use it in my 4R100 tranny!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.