ccv mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ccv mod

the ccv mod, is this the little black box on top of the valve cover on drivers side? It has a little 90 degree tube coming into the intake tubing right after the airbox?well sort of right past the air box? If so, anyone have any pics of the mod? or a good description?
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ccv stands for crank case ventilation. all a ccv mod does is relocate the entry of the air flowing into the crank case. If you take off you air filter and look down into the turbo, midway, you will see a small "hole with a hood" that allows air to travel down the crank case. In stock configuration, the entrance hole allows oil to leak through the turbo, intercooler, ect. in most cases it saturates the turbo boots and causes them to leak and lets boost pressure escape. There are a bunch of different kits online that relocate the entrance of the ccv different places.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not that I am going to but why caouldn't you just weld a breather tube abd put a breather on the valve cover?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Can You just put a tube on there and move it like into the fan shroud or something?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufortBiofuels View Post
ccv stands for crank case ventilation. all a ccv mod does is relocate the entry of the air flowing into the crank case. If you take off you air filter and look down into the turbo, midway, you will see a small "hole with a hood" that allows air to travel down the crank case. In stock configuration, the entrance hole allows oil to leak through the turbo, intercooler, ect. in most cases it saturates the turbo boots and causes them to leak and lets boost pressure escape. There are a bunch of different kits online that relocate the entrance of the ccv different places.
Not to nit pick, the description is mostly right, but in most cases the air is coming OUT of the crankcase due to blow by, etc. That is why you get oil in the intake.

Some people have just put a filter on there, I'm sure some people on here have done it, but it is my understanding that it is pretty easy to turn a 7.3 into an "oil fountain" so to speak if the flow resistance isn't just right. The cheapest way is to turn the housing around and just run a piece of heater hose out the back, but it stinks and will drip some oil. The other option is to run a "catch can". Cheapest way to do this aside from build your own is probably to buy one of the ones that NCHornet designed. I know Raul@stealthautomotive sells them. I have one sitting in my garage that I just haven't got around to installing yet. It will be happening eventually though. Oh yeah, if I remember right there is a write up in the tech files on this site.

-Aaron
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
but it is my understanding that it is pretty easy to turn a 7.3 into an "oil fountain" so to speak if the flow resistance isn't just right.
-Aaron
I think I know what you mean. I put NCHornets CCV Mod on my 01 and was immediately rewarded with an oil leak I haven't had time to track down yet. I've got one more thing to check before I attribute it to the Mod, though.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Premium Member

Solid98, I would look at where the ccv comes out of the valve housing first, if you didn't use new seals it can be difficult to get the old o-rings back in right after they have swollen and what not. Along with that I would also check for any low spots in the hose that may be acting like a trap in a sink drain and letting oil puddle up so it effectively "seals" the hose from in restricted airflow.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 AM

I used new o-rings on the doghouse. I routed the hoses as instructed, no low spots, over the brake master cylinder, and I am able to blow air thru both hoses at the filter with little to no resistance. I have a sneaky suspicion my dipstick o-ring decided to fail at just this time. No standing oil in the valley but the bottom of the pan looks like it was dipped in a bucket of oil.

I'm just going to accept it as an unlucky coincidence. I haven't had the CCV filter on long enough to notice any difference, but I do feel better having it on there.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way complaining or blaming NCHornets filter.I made a change to MY truck and I am just eliminatiing it as the cause to a reaction (oil leak). My action, an attempt to keep oil out of my intake system, resulted in an equal and opposite reaction, dumping oil all over the bottom of my truck and onto the ground.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Haha, right on. I was just trying to help out if needed. Partly for the benefit of the OP in case he installs one too. Sorry to hear about the dipstick leak. I'm hoping I don't have to tackle that one any time soon.
-Aaron
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 PM

i tired the ccv mod and right away got an oil leak out of some seal on the front of the engine. I posted about this when it happened. It was a VERY steady drip. No one thought it could have anything to do with it. I put it back to stock and oil stopped leaking. The hose was wide open, it was not on long enough to have oil build up. Only thing i did was turn the dog house around. No more ccv mod for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.