Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lifts and capability and practicality

4K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  szyd 
#1 ·
Hey Im looking to put a lift on my truck in the Near future I see everything from leveling kits to 8 inch lifts. Im looking to get a all around good truck, want it to be functional look good and do extras like going off road. My wife is short and has a hard time getting into my fathers truck (Slightly higher then mine but stock) I want to know by asking you guys what is the most practical set up (i also have to put my kids in and out of it) I like the 6 inch and 37s but how bad does that kill your mileage and how practical is it to have to "climb" into your truck?? What about leveling kits are they worth the money just to bring the front end up and to clear 33s?? And 4 inch lift down sides to such a small lift and the tires being 35s?? Could some of you show me your trucks and let me know what you have on them (if you have pictures to compare it in size to something else that would be great):thumb: and tell me the ups and downs of your lift and tire combos??? Thanks guys:icon_ford:

#2 ·
I think it is all up to you.

When I bought my truck it had a 4" kit. Loved it. Had it about 2 years and wanted to go bigger.

Went to an 8". 37s.

After 4 years of driving it like this, finally decided I needed something smaller. It is fun to drive, but it is A LOT MORE FUN TO DRIVE only on the weekends. Now that its a weekend toy, I would like to go even bigger. Its just one of those things, its never enough. :wink[3]:

Fuel mileage wise, it didn't hurt it too bad. With the 4" kit...I think it use to do like 16ish or so. With the 8" kit.....she does between 12 and 14(but this is strictly weekend red to red light, start, stop, on, off, idle...etc.).

#5 ·
you wouldnt happen to have the 4 inch kit still would you?? LMAO:rofl:

#3 ·
You can run 35's with the leveling kit and the 4' lifts are the same price as the 6' lifts are. I personally think a fuller wheel well looks alot better than an empty one more lift same size tire, but like was said above it is all up to you.

#4 ·
so with a leveling kit i can run 35s what about rub??

#11 ·
I know ive been reading all the stuff on the chapters forums and i wish i could be there now but I have 3 months left!! Unless you have a way to change that

#12 ·
I only have one word.... well actually four.................AWOL:woot::woot: All we would have to do is steal a chopper and...................... :hehe::hehe: I know it has to be killin' ya not to see those little ones on a daily basis.

#13 ·
I have a 6" lift and 37's and no rub, not even on leaf springs. I can tow some goosenecks with the pin all the way up and with a big enough drop hitch it will tow any bumper pull. I don't have any pictures with me (I am using my phone) but if I remember and am not too tired when I get home I will post pictures and specifics.
-Aaron

#14 ·
I have a 6" lift with 32.5" tires (I know i'm workin on it...:crazy:) and for me this is just the right height. I'm 6'4" and i still need the step to get in so keep that in mind that you WILL most likely need a step if you don't already have one. It's always fun watching other people try to get in though, especially in the back 'cause i only have a step for the front seats lol :hehe:.

We just lifted my buds Ram 1500 with a 6" lift and 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers and wow...his truck has completely lost all acceleration. That thing used to be real fast for a truck and now he has to nearly gas it all the way just to pick up from a stop light. Loud as heck too. He has yet to put in steps and it is a bone-a-fied pain to get into that thing. Well i'm exaggerating a little it's not that bad, it's just after a few trips with him i was wishing he had some steps.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, you said you wanted 6" lift with 37" tires. Talk to Diesel Freak about that. He has that exact set up on his rig and it required trimming around the wheel well i believe. Just keep in mind as soon as you lift it, you have to take turns MUCH slower. My other bud rolled his lifted Ranger just two months ago making a turn. Caught fire and everything. Now he drives a flareside Sonoma...:hehe:

#16 ·
Just keep in mind as soon as you lift it, you have to take turns MUCH slower. My other bud rolled his lifted Ranger just two months ago making a turn. Caught fire and everything. Now he drives a flareside Sonoma...:hehe:
Sorry about your buddies ranger, that sucks.

Not to start a debate, but personally, my truck doesn't do all that bad in corners. Its no sports car, but I have never felt like it was gonna roll. And I've pushed it a little past that comfort level. I personally don't think rolling it is much of an issue, or should sway you away from wanting a big lift.

I guess 16in and 46's is outta the question? haha.. I got some pics of 8in and 38s on my old v-10 if you want me to post them let me know.
16" would kick ars! Biggpigg, love the truck! :thumb: After joining this forum and seeing all the other big trucks, I really want to change mine up. :nod: But....nice ride!

#15 ·
I guess 16in and 46's is outta the question? haha.. I got some pics of 8in and 38s on my old v-10 if you want me to post them let me know.

#17 ·
Not to start a debate, but personally, my truck doesn't do all that bad in corners. Its no sports car, but I have never felt like it was gonna roll. And I've pushed it a little past that comfort level. I personally don't think rolling it is much of an issue, or should sway you away from wanting a big lift.
Well it wasn't the trucks fault, he was just being an idiot. There was a traffic jam after school one day so he wanted to show off a little in front of everyone so...instead of slowing down he tried to swing around it and go off road. Well long story short he hit the gravel on the side of the road, rolled it, and totaled it. Fire and everything. He's alright though nothing serious to him. But his big old yellow Ranger is toast. Literally! :hehe:

We'll never let him live it down lol

#18 ·
Every one also keeps telling me to go with Moto Metals 951 in an 20 inch I think I should do some 850s in a 18 inch Me I like more tire then wheel and i too also like my wheel wells to be filled but not to the point of triming my wells. Im looking at the 35 inch cooper stts on the 950s But i would like to see how they would look with a four inch lift anyone have some pictures of some 35 inch tires on 18 inch wheels with a 4 inch lift???

#19 ·
If i were you i would wait on the new tires till spetember. Nitto has the new Trail grapplers coming out in a 35/12.5/18 size. That's what i'll be getting :woot:.

#20 ·
35s with a leveling kit all day i got bfg km2s mounted on 16x10 eagle alloys with zero rub not on the leafs or the fender

#22 ·
If you got offset rims it might not rub, but my 35's on the lariat rims rubbed on the leafs. I think almost every truck I've ever had has rubbed on the leafs at least a little though lol, if you buy the right tires they'll do that. My leveling kit worked out to be almost 3 inches, and I had no trouble. Other than a little rub with the wheel all the way over. Turning radias on these things isn't anything to write home about anyway, I didn't mind the little I lost.

I dunno if you tow alot or not, but a lift is gonna make a difference if you tow heavy. One of the reasons I've stayed low is the old comparison, short tree's don't bend in the wind. Tall tree's do. That said, with the lifts out nowdays, I don't think you'll really have any issues with a 4 inch. Just have to adjust for a gooseneck.

#23 ·
Here's a pic with 35's and a leveling kit. These are buckshots, they were actually a little big for 35x12.50's. Probably more like 36x13

Here's with a trailer on, it's pullin the front end up just a little, but you get the idea.

And I dropped to 33's (285's) this set to get a little more punch and milage out of the ol' mule. The bigger tires are gonna make a difference there.

#24 ·
This was on a website that I was looking at trying to get more info on it I think its a 4 inch with 35s (Thats what they were saying) This is more what Im looking for thanks for the leveling kit pictures tho Now i have a better idea what I want the truck to look like! Now I just need to get in contact with the guy to find out all the stuff on it!! And save just a tad more money!!

#25 ·

Leveled with one add a leaf in front with the 2.5" kit for a total of 3" in front truck sits the same at all 4 wheel wells. My tires a 33"s. It did not change the ride to much but it is a little stiffer.:thumb:

#27 ·
See thats good looking also but i think the 4 inch and 35s give me just the stance im looking for thanks great looking rig (RED AND BLACK ROCKS)

#29 ·
My truck is a F350 I baught the summit racing 2.5 level before i put that on i had a leaf put in the middlw of the factory spring pack. Which the total front is 3". The 350 comes with 3.5" blocks on the back.

If you were to get all the stuff i have including the F350 blocks you are looking at about $400.00 Than youre truck should sit like mine and you would have no problem with 35"s. I have 18X10 wheels in the basement waiting on 35"s.:thumb:

#30 ·
Im very scared of add a leafs I did it on my jeep cherokee that I owned and they always made horable poping noises!! I know I installed them right and I made sure everything was to the right TQ and a week later for the U bolt inspection and retq they had cracked bolth leaf springs right at the center and all that was holding my axle from falling off or sliding off was the u bolts (Scarry idea) all it would have taken is for one of those nuts to come lose just the right amount and hit a good bump I would have eather killed my self or killed my jeep (That happened anyways thanks little old lady PS HOW DO YOU NOT SEE A BRIGHT RED JEEP!!!) So im scared of the whole add a leaf thing not to say its bad maybe mine was faulty or something or my jeeps old leafs were just to old!! I rather do a full replacement leaf and keep my stockers if i want or need to return to stock highth what would you suggest??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.