4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to superman04
4x4

I just wanted to ask this question before it snows tonight. What is the proper way to engage and disengage the 4 wheel drive on my 2001 f-250? Is there a procedure I should follow? Do I have to do anything with locking the hubs? Also, to drive in snow, should it be set to 4x4 low or 4x4 high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Do you have auto hubs or manual? If auto you will be OK, just throw the shift into 4x4 HIGH...you wont need LOW...You won't go above something like 5 or 10 mph in LOW..if you have manual hubs...I am with the understanding you can lock them in before hand so you don't hafta get out and do it...this it what we do with our work plow trucks..I just wouldn't drive with them locked all the time though..just unlock them when the snow has passed, or when you think you'll be OK.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
The Fat Mod

Well, if you have the auto locking hubs, I would just make sure they are working properly prior to having to use it for real. If you are not sure, you can flip them over to lock before you get into trouble. I usually just drive it in 2x4 until it starts getting sketchy, then I will just throw it into 4x4 high. I only use the low range usually if I have a big hill to crawl down, or something where I dont want to spin a whole bunch. When going down a hil, you can throw it in low range, and let the truck "pull" you down the hill. That way you dont have to hit the brakes, and risk locking it up, and sliding off the road or into something you dont want to. Hope this helps. Good luck with the coming weather.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Fishing Fanatic

If it were me, and I know snow is coming, I would go ahead and lock in your front hubs now. You can shift in and out of 4High at anytime as long as speeds aren't too fast (55 I think). You must be stopped and in nuetral I believe to shift into 4 low. Refer to your owners manual. I have an 01 also with the switch on the dash, and if I am out playing in the mud, I just lock in the hubs, and switch in and out of 4wd high, whenever I need to or just wanting to play. Hope that helps, and it is just my .02 cents!!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Logan, we must of been writing at the same time...didn't think about using LOW to crawl downhill....thanx, will hafta keep that one in mind...then again our "hills" aren't quite like NCs!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 AM
The Fat Mod

Nah, that is something my dad taught me many years before I started driving, it works really good. Its kinda slow, but beter slow than in a ditch, tree, or another car. When ever you do it, just put er in 4 low and a lower gear, so that it is slow enough that you dont have to think about touching the brakes.

Another thing I forgot about, if you have an exhaust brake on it, turn it off, because when it kicks in, if it is slick, it can lock up your tires and send you for a ride too.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok well I just looked and on the hub it says AUTO and LOCK. what's the difference between the two? oh and what is an exhaust brake and how would i turn it off?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Leave it in AUTO..then all you do is flip the switch into HIGH...LOCK setting I beleive is in case you are really stuck and can't get the wheels to rolll to engage the auto hubs...I honestly have not used the LOCK setting yet...so, I guess that is where it would come in handy. SO, basically what I am saying, you should be good to go with it left in AUTO and you can shift in and outta HIGH upto 55 mph Ford recommends.

Last edited by DKR; 02-12-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info. i would look in my owners manual, but lucky me, it didnt come with one. to disengage i just turn the switch back to 2 wheel? should i stop to disengage or can i be in motion?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 AM
The Fat Mod

Lock is also for, if you have a leak in the vac lines, and it will not "auto lock" the hubs, you can hop out and still have a fail safe.

And exhaust brake is an after market braking device, that sometimes uses your EBPV. You would probably know if you had one. Samething with the Jakes in a big truck. Turn them off in the snow and ice and sometimes even the wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.