Shift on the Fly 4WD Problem??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift on the Fly 4WD Problem???

I've got an 01 F250 crew cab 7.3 power stroke. It's got the shift on the fly 4WD with the knob on the dash. When I place the switch in 4X4 High or Low I here the motor on the transfer case shift, but the front hubs dosen't lock in automatic. I can place them in the lock position and it'll work. The vacuum switch on the inside of the passenger side fender is not opening. I've got vacuum going to the vacuum switch, but nothing out. I pulled the three wire electrical plug on the vacuum switch to check voltage, I had 14.6 volts on the center plug with the dash switch on or off. I couldn't find the wire diagram in my Hayes manual for this circuit. In the truck's owners manual it show this on the same fuse as the backup lights and its not blown. I guess it could be in the dash switch, but I'm not sure if there's anything between it and the vacuum switch that may keep this from working. Has anyone had this same issue?
Thanks for the help,
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Im just guessing here but it could be your seals are leaking on your hubs.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to Powerstroke, glad your here. See if you can blow through the lines and feel it on the other end, it may somehow have gotten plugged up. When you switch it over, does your defrosters come on? If so it's a vac leak somewhere.

Gord.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the help guy's. I've not check for leaks in the hub yet, but I did check vacuum on the line before it tees off to the two hubs. I didn't have vacuum on that line when its in 4WD, but it did have it on the line going to the valve/switch. The line coming from the valve could be plugged, I've not check it yet. You would think it would have to energize the vacuum switch/valve before you get vacuum to the hubs. No matter which position I have the 4WD dash switch in, the center terminal on the plug has 14.6 +VDC, but I didn't think to check if it was connecting one of the other two wires to ground. I'll check that next.

Jim
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem on my 2000 F-350 .. Mine was the seals on the hubs were cracking loosing vacuum.. Replaced both sides and has been working ok
About 2 weeks after replacing my seals my vacuum pump went out .. Replaced it also.. I'm thinking the seals were so bad that the pump could have pulled moisture in the lines,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.