Installed a heater valve today.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed a heater valve today....

99 Super Duty 7.3- no factory heater valve.

So I went to Carquest, bought one, hooked it up, worked fine when I first started the truck to check for leaks. After I drove around for a while and got home, I realized it was allowing some water into the heater core, while it was in the "bypass" position. By the way, I bought a by-pass type, vacuum operated unit. When I took it out of the box, I blew through it to determine which holes were which, and I noticed it didn't seal very well, but thought nothing of it. So I'm thinking I'll just take it out and put some manual shut off valves in, with a bypass tube.

Question- Do you guys think the by-pass is needed? What harm would it do not to have one? Will it hurt the water pump?

Also, does the cooling system vent somehow- When I took the cap off the overflow tank, it had pressure on it. Bad cap? Or is that just how it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM

The overflow tank is part of the pressurized radiator system. Not a typical overflow tank it is hot and could blow off steam and A/F at you.

I would think it is a good thing for a small amount of coolant to circulate through the heater core just to keep it from getting funky.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured with the overflow tank, I went outside and looked at it again last night. You have a point of keeping a little bit of anti freeze flowing through the core. The reason for the heater valve was to make the AC colder. So, tomorrow it will be hot out, I'll find out if it helps.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 AM

Well guys, it works fine now. Still waiting for a 95 degree day to see if it helped the AC.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 AM

I have been going around this block for a couple months. I replaced my complete system because the compressor went out. If you can get around 50-55 degree air coming out of the vents on a 100+ day you did good. JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.