Headers. REALLY worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headers. REALLY worth it?

Just got to wondering after I browsed some sites offering headers for our 7.3s. No one has posted numbers that I could find, but Im curious to know what may be gained by using them, aside from the obvious flow efficiency over stock manifolds. Has anyone dyno comparisons or some other "Hard" Evidence that headers are worth installation on a non competitive hopped up daily driver/ towmobile?

"Blizzard" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a "New" secret blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its not the fastest, but it quite possibly is one of the quickest.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
KING of BLING!

For the price there is a bunch of other stuff you could do. I know through d.i. they are $1000-$1200.

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited(Current)
2006 F350 Crew Cab 6.0 Lifted 6",22's,SRL, Edge CTS(Totaled)
2003 F250 Crew Cab 6.0 Sonic Blue Sport 38s/20s(SOLD)
2001 F250 Crew Cab 7.3 w/ 08 Clip 37s/22x14s(SOLD)
2005 Excursion Limited 6.0 I.D. Tunes 38s/20s(SOLD)
2008 F350 Crew Cab 6.4 Job II 2.5" Leveling kit(SOLD)
2001 F250 Single Cab Short Bed Looney Tuned 6.0 Conversion Studded/EGR Delete(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
I hear that you won't notice a difference until you are over 400hp

Typical cummins owner.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Cynic

Yes, they are worth it, but the subject is highly debated. There are quite a few people running them. I wouldn't buy them until you are making more power. Also, they sound as awesome as they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
I hear that you won't notice a difference until you are over 400hp
The stock manifolds will support well over 600rwhp.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Voluntary Banishment: Knowing when to leave.
Total Diesel Performance\Unlimited Diesel Performance\Diesel Innovations\BTS\Terminator Engineering\Swamp's Diesel Performance\Black Widow Diesel\Calvert Racing
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I would buy them for the sound...

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
I would buy them for the sound...
That's what I was sayin... but the more I think about it, the more it will depend on the turbo(s). Headers with a stock EBPV flange will probably sound stock. Headers on my 3.25in non EBPV flange would sound pretty mean. Also, a .84, 1.0, 1.15 turbine housings sound a bit different as well.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Total Diesel Performance\Unlimited Diesel Performance\Diesel Innovations\BTS\Terminator Engineering\Swamp's Diesel Performance\Black Widow Diesel\Calvert Racing
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
That's what I was sayin... but the more I think about it, the more it will depend on the turbo(s). Headers with a stock EBPV flange will probably sound stock. Headers on my 3.25in non EBPV flange would sound pretty mean. Also, a .84, 1.0, 1.15 turbine housings sound a bit different as well.
So it wasn't all in my mind

Was thinking my exhaust sounded different since I put the .84 housing on monday

Typical cummins owner.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

As it is, in not to long a while the engine is coming out, and internals are going in. Forged rods, pistons, 910s/beehives, pushrods, ect. SO, what I really would like are HP gain numbers from headers. Sound, eh, ok, but as stated, Im not gonna spend that much cash on just sound. The plan is to arrive at or just over 400 hp RELIABLY when its all finished. If headers only add 3 to 5 HP, Im gonna spend the cash elsewhere.

"Blizzard" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a "New" secret blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its not the fastest, but it quite possibly is one of the quickest.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Get a set of those nice bellowed up pipes DI sells...

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Cynic

I have a set of one piece up pipes. Awesome possum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode