New to forum, buying and early 99 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum, buying and early 99 PSD

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and diesels in general. We are about to buy a 9/30/98 production F350 PSD. The truck has just over 100K and has been maintained at the ford dealer its entire life.1 owner only pulled a horse trailer in the summers. I've been reading piles of good info on this site about what to look for when buying used, and it has been a great help, Thanks. I am however somewhat confused on the differances between the 99 and 99.5 trucks. What is the cut-off date? Is the early 99 less reliable? What are the differences and would it be better to wait and find a late 99 to 03 truck if this is an early 99? Thanks for your help.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 09:51 AM
im fat and ugly

aboard
Old 02-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorider View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and diesels in general. We are about to buy a 9/30/98 production F350 PSD. The truck has just over 100K and has been maintained at the ford dealer its entire life.1 owner only pulled a horse trailer in the summers. I've been reading piles of good info on this site about what to look for when buying used, and it has been a great help, Thanks. I am however somewhat confused on the differances between the 99 and 99.5 trucks. What is the cut-off date? Is the early 99 less reliable? What are the differences and would it be better to wait and find a late 99 to 03 truck if this is an early 99? Thanks for your help.

Michael
First of all let me you Michael to the forum.I cant answer your question but their well be someone that can.Have fun & enjoy.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the Forum, Michael.

I'm not sure on the cut-off date, but if you look on the side of the truck, you can tell the difference. The early '99's had PSD V8 emblems on the front of the fenders near the turn signals. The later trucks have emblems on the doors.

The early trucks had a different turbo and intake than later ones. They have a compressor wheel like the older PSD's. I actually prefer the early '99's to the late. I have driven several of them, and never had any problems with 'em.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Im pretty sure the intercooler is smaller also.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:04 PM

The cut off date for the early 99 is 12-7-98, anything after will be a 99.5.
They changed some of the suspension after 3-1-99, so someone might have an older suspension with the newer motor. The early 99 will have a smaller turbo than the late 99's, but you won't have the turbo surge that goes with having that bigger turbo. Injectors are a 120cc split shot, 140 split for the 99.5. The older 7.3's had 90cc single shot I believe, and you can really hear the difference. The early 99 puts out about 235 HP vs 250 for the 99.5.
I think that the HPOP is 15 degree's vs 17 for the 99.5 which is where some of that extra horsepower comes from. I don't know what they are asking for your truck, but 100,000 miles? She is just getting broke in
With a few simple mods you will be enjoying her for years to come!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help

I'm going to look her over and hopefully pick up the truck next week. It is a crew cab, short box , 4x4 6spd,truck; they are asking 16K. . The truck has the 4x4 shift lever on the floor. Is this a true manual linkage for the transfer or just a switch? I spoke with Jason at Vegistroke the other night and when the weather warms a bit it will get his WVO conversion. I can't wait to get started with the wrenching. I'm also thinking about adding a DP tuner with the 80hp economy, and moderate tow(75hp?) tunes. I've read that this is a good chip setup for economy....true??

Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Premium Member

There is nothing wrong with the early 99 at all. they just have some different equipment on them. I have the DP in mine and love it, as far as economy, thats up to you and your right foot hahaha. Give Dennis a call at ITP and he can fill you in on the Dp, he is a dealer for Jody. Make sure you let him know your a member of Powerstroke.org, you'll get a better price.

Gord.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to STROKEN-J
I have an early 99 f250 super cab and I love it. I also have the manual 4x4 shift and ya it is real it aculy shift the t/c not a switch. mine has 121,500 miles on it and going strong and no major problems, just oil and new GP relay and glow pugs. Thatís a good price if it is in descent condition. I got mine with 114,000 miles and book on it was $18,000 I paid $14,500, I love haggling lol.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.