what is typical oil usage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is typical oil usage?

I seem to have to add a quart every 1000 or so, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
I never have to add that much oil every 1000 miles and my truck even has a small leak. so i would go with no not normal
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Emergency Services

Does it look like it's burning oil (from the exhaust), or does it look like it's hemorrhaging oil from some where on the engine? How many miles does it have?

Unless it is an obvious leak, I wouldn't worry about it. If your truck has 200K+ miles there is no point in doing major repair to find a leak, then have the truck die 50,000 miles down the road due to bad cam bearings or something. Just keep putting oil in it. Now, if there is a performance problem associated with the oil leak, then you might think about finding the problem.

In the mean time, the extra oil between oil changes will keep the cleaner over all.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

I've never seen any drips under the engine, and the exhaust seems OK, although my panel behind the exhaust gets pretty blacked up. I'veot 160k on the truck now.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
Does it look like it's burning oil (from the exhaust), or does it look like it's hemorrhaging oil from some where on the engine? How many miles does it have?

Unless it is an obvious leak, I wouldn't worry about it. If your truck has 200K+ miles there is no point in doing major repair to find a leak, then have the truck die 50,000 miles down the road due to bad cam bearings or something. Just keep putting oil in it. Now, if there is a performance problem associated with the oil leak, then you might think about finding the problem.

In the mean time, the extra oil between oil changes will keep the cleaner over all.
I would agree!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Emergency Services

That's kind of a low mileage to be using oil like that. I still wouldn't worry about it though. It would cost waaay more than the cost of a few quarts of oil to get it re-built. Just keep adding it, and don't worry about it.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if i had to guess on this problem, i would guess your are losing oil thru the internals of at least one injector , seen this quite afew times, no external leaks on a vehicle without that many miles , what needs to happen here is the injectors need to be pulled and if you have a local ford dealer near you , have them pressure test the injectors , there is a tool made every ford delaer should have one , the injector mounts in it , and shop air is applied , if oil runs out the spill spout during this test the injector is bad , i dont know what kind of mechanical abilities you have but if you are willing to pull them out , ship them to me , i'll do this for you , i think you will find your problem there , pm me if you are interested
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
i dont agree to some of that, i had the same issue in my old truck, no blue yadda yadda and cylinder 8 was actually losing compression and my truck only had 100k miles, the reason for not seeing the blue at all is the fact our engines run so hot, when you put a lil oil in it at a time it burns it off you wont see it until it gets worse or on itial start up the blue wont go away right away, so no not good, dont just keep putting oil in it, take it in and get a compression test done, check for blow by, catch it early easy rebuild, catch it way down the road youll need a short block..
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

so just because yours had a compression issue means his does too , oh now i see sorry for my ignorant post , to the original poster , i think you will find in the end that i am correct with what i posted
Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
so just because yours had a compression issue means his does too , oh now i see sorry for my ignorant post , to the original poster , i think you will find in the end that i am correct with what i posted

..... Why ya being so ignorant Scuffy?....... I agree 100% with Scuffy. Exact same issues the OP is having I had and the fix was pressure testing the injectors..... as always Scuffy......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.