Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

little advise

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  keystone crawler 
#1 ·
hi new to this board but not forums . ive been looking and reading up on 99 -03 super dutys with 7.3s . and i got two i got my eye on but i dunno which one is better . truck 1 is 00 loaded to gills with everything 52k its an auto . or truck 2 is 03 with 6spd barebones work truck its got like 61k . its a toss up , on one hand i like to ride in style . but on the other hand truck 1 is so much more then am use too . i plan on using the truck for DD and hauling my toy to go wheeling . i'm at a cross road as which is better . after reading on the PMR issue i'm kinda of up in the air is going to be an issue now i don't plan on mod' ing like crazy . if anything maybe an exhaust and intake . i'm going to making payments on it and it needs to be somewhat nice to drive.

#3 ·
Yeah those both sound like nice trucks. The pmr issue I wouldnt worry about until your mod over 400 hp then it can become an issue and your talking lots of modding and money to get to that stage. I guess its all up to personal preference on a automatic or the 6 speed. I like the automatic as I always had standards in my trucks before and wanted to switch. Its nice to have the comforts also if you can afford it. My motto is if your going to be making a payment and you can afford it go for it your only here once:)

#4 ·
I like the 2000. I like to be in a little more comfort for a DD. But, thats just me. Get some pics or something, or if you have a little more info, we might beable to make a better choice. The 2003 probably still has some warrenty left though, might be something to think about. Good luck with the truck hunting. :thumb:

#6 ·
Well my preference would be truck one with the lower miles more comforts and you might be able to haggle a little on the price. I just bought mine in Nov for 19,500 to give you an idea.

#7 ·
Also not to pressure you but if you become a premium member for 20 bucks you can have an Oasis report done with a Vin number. That is a report from ford on any maint that was done to the truck if it was at a ford dealer. It could show any possible problems or lack there of to help with your decision. Good luck:)

#10 ·
yeah i work for a saab/ zuki dealer we do vins . it something to think about once i get to that point them cash is ready to be exchanged. that with alot an carfax is prob a good idea. BTW does anyone know of known problems with electric 4x4 . i'm not a big fan of it i rather a leveler. how does one pay to have a vin run ?

#8 ·
thats what i'm thinking . but anything is step above what i drive now its like driving a APC . awesome in the wood on the trails now so nice on the back and wallet hahaha. truck 1 keeps floating on and off soo i dunno if someone 2 stepin or what . still got some time but these are 2 i have been watching close . still comes down to auto vs manual debate .

#9 ·
Yeah I hear ya! I liked the standard in my other trucks because I used them in the woods alot and like the low gearing of a standard for that reason, but with a PSD your not going to be romping around in the woods at least not me, so I love the convienience of the auto. Im sure you wont be disapointed either way:)

#14 ·
The first PSD I test drove was a stick, I love driving stick but I could not drive a PSD in a stick. Becuase of all the shifting and a bad left knee, I was hurting after going around the block in the city. I opted for the automatic. I love my truck. As for which one should you get, that is completely up to you. I prefer truck 1 besides the color there is nothing I see wrong with it. But if you want to pretend that your a truck driver and want to be a gear slamming jockey then get truck 2.

#16 ·
thanks for the info guys . well basicly right now i'm trying to get a loan paid off for the currie hp 9 in the jeep . once that done i'll be in the market place. right now i'm looking doing research . truck 1 has been flipping on and off auto trader last week alot . so i dunno if buyer is backing out or what i hope that it doesn't go to sale when the time comes . however truck 2 is nice too but there isn't any pic on the inside . so i'm just guessing its soild bench seat and barebones. ive read up on TSB that was out on early electric 4x4 and it was resolve in like 01 late i believe ?

when i go to look at them if has auto hubs is the vac motor on the t-case or axle ? i hope its not on axle . like the POS that the general and DC was running for years . once i drive then i think i'll know what i want . i got a friend that has f450s and that for this towing co. and he keeps telling me to buy the bare bones with the stick . however if going on long trips truck 1 be much nicer . sooo much to think about . hell i wish i can have something now i'm getting stick of that POS jeep . thanks for the info guys keep it coming -mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.