First road trip with new truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First road trip with new truck

And boy do I have a couple of gremlins. Drove to New Mexico from Dallas on Thursday for the holiday weekend. Everything was fine on the way there but boy o boy on the way back now thats a different story. I was pulling a 20' car hauler with 2 street bikes and a 4wheeler in it along with some tools and a couple of coolers basically not a whole lot of weight. Here is what it was doing. While on cruise control set at 75mph going up a slight hill the CEL would come on and its like the cruise control would shut off and drop to between 65 & 70 and then the cruise would kick back in and it would race back up to 75 sending my boost to 20psi and my egt's to 1200 and then it would do the same thing a couple of more times and then go back to normal. It was also doing this when I was using the pedal. We would hit a hill and have to stay on the gas but then it would just go limp and its like the power just went away and after a few seconds it would kick back in and be fine. Then later Sunday evening about 250miles from home while cruising along at about 70 the tranny jumped out of overdrive and redlined and then would bounce in and out of od and after doing that probably 10 times it settled back into od and was good for about another hour and did it again but this time the od light started flashing. We stopped to get gas one last time and when we restarted it the od light was off and it shifted alright until right before we got home but by then I didn't care anymore I just wanted to sleep. Now this morning fully unloaded on the way to work at slow speeds like 40mph its bouncing in and out of over drive. I know I need to see what codes popped up but has anyone come across anything like this? Also while cruising I would get a kind of muffled vacuum sound that would come on for a minute or 2 every 15 or 20 minutes anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

I cant be sure but that sounds like normal driving as far as it jumping in and out of OD whilst at 40. Mine does that all the time. Pick a different speed.

As far as the other stuff on the road. It depends on the hills and such you were pulling up. It may be normal driving. It truely sounds normal to me (IF YOU ARENT EXAGERATING JUST A LITTLE). Could probably diagnose some things better with more specific info and less "about".
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'powerstroke7.3 View Post
I cant be sure but that sounds like normal driving as far as it jumping in and out of OD whilst at 40. Mine does that all the time. Pick a different speed.

As far as the other stuff on the road. It depends on the hills and such you were pulling up. It may be normal driving. It truely sounds normal to me (IF YOU ARENT EXAGERATING JUST A LITTLE). Could probably diagnose some things better with more specific info and less "about".
1st off there is nothing normal about what my truck is doing. And 2nd what in the world about what I said sounds exagerated just alittle??? Its not like I said I was climbing the side of a mountain towing a doublewide in the rain. If I would have said 250 miles later instead of about 250 miles later, an hour later instead of about an hour later or 40mph instead of about 40mph then you would be able to diagnose my problem for me? Give me a break dude. Nothing that you said has helped me and I'f you can't offer any sort of help why comment?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

I can see that you are a PSD EXPERT. So I will make this as short as possible.

That vaccum sound could be anything. if you dont give an accurate discription of the location of this noise. Or at least a general area no one will ever know. It could be your intake you are hearing. They tend to make a sucking noise when under heavy loads.

That CEL your seeing whilst going up hills with the cruise on. Well that could be that your truck is trying to make more power under load. In doing that it is boosting hard. The truck then defuels because of an over boost code.

The exageration I was refering to is the number of times you said your truck jumped in and out of OD. It sounded excessive to me.

Whilst driving at 40. Your trans going in and out of OD IS NORMAL.

I hope this helps. Even though an expert like yourself has probably figured it all out by now though. You keep jumping on everyone when they try to lend a hand, your gonna find out no one will be willing to help you out later on.

There is the most likely possibilities on your problems.
Give me a break DUDE.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Send a message via AIM to SniperFolf
Sorry to interupt the conversation what part on this great state?Nm...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Also I just re read your original post. You trans jumping in and out like it did and then the OD button flashing problem. Sounds like your trans is getting too hot. You might try and change the fluid and filter. Simple job. If that still doesnt work then you will have to add a new trans cooler. A 6.0 cooler is bigger and will keep the fluid down in its normal range. I was stationed in texass for six years and my trans always ran hot down there until I changed the cooler.

Like I said though. You probably already knew this.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
That vaccum sound could be anything. if you dont give an accurate discription of the location of this noise. Or at least a general area no one will ever know. It could be your intake you are hearing. They tend to make a sucking noise when under heavy loads.

That CEL your seeing whilst going up hills with the cruise on. Well that could be that your truck is trying to make more power under load. In doing that it is boosting hard. The truck then defuels because of an over boost code.

The exageration I was refering to is the number of times you said your truck jumped in and out of OD. It sounded excessive to me.

Whilst driving at 40. Your trans going in and out of OD IS NORMAL.

I hope this helps. Even though an expert like yourself has probably figured it all out by now though. You keep jumping on everyone when they try to lend a hand, your gonna find out no one will be willing to help you out later on.
Why didn't you offer this info up in the begining instead of basically calling me a liar? If you think me telling you I didn't start this thread to read your negativity is jumping on you then we can continue this after your balls drop. If I was an expert I would be helping people and not asking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperFolf View Post
Sorry to interupt the conversation what part on this great state?Nm...
Capitan pretty much. My buddys parents retired there and have a house on the side of Sierra Blanca.

Quote:
Also I just read your original post.
Which is what you should have done originally instead of telling me I'm imagining it all. I appreciate your positive remarks and will take them all in consideration when I go about diagnosing my problems. Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

I just diagnosed them for you jackass. What part of chill out or no one is going to help you do you not understand. Ive been in this game for a while now. If I were in your shoes I would have just accepted the advice and said thanks. Now yourcan depend on the rest of the people who dont know what the hell is going on under their hood to give you advice.

Also, If you are going to quote me. Do it right.

Your hot 16 year old temper is going to buy you nothing in the help sections.

I NEVER said you were imagining anything. I never called you a liar. I only tried to get MORE SPECIFIC information from you. I hope you come calling for help later. Ill be glad to sit back and watch you struggle.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
I just diagnosed them for you jackass. What part of chill out or no one is going to help you do you not understand. Ive been in this game for a while now. If I were in your shoes I would have just accepted the advice and said thanks. Now yourcan depend on the rest of the people who dont know what the hell is going on under their hood to give you advice.

I NEVER said you were imagining anything. I never called you a liar. I only tried to get MORE SPECIFIC information from you. I hope you come calling for help later. Ill be glad to sit back and watch you struggle.
WOW.................
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:

Really I guess you are the be all end all tech on the site. I also guess you understand everything that there is to be known about how this site is ran. The only 16 year old temper that I am seeing in this thread is yours. Here is my advice to you throttle it back and quick. We pride ourselves on helping everyone. Sometimes that means that you have to ASK QUESTIONS. Not just ridicule the OP. If you have any questions please take it to PM's with me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.