2001 Steering Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 Steering Issue

This may be a little long, but I hope it makes since...

Truck: 2001 7.3 4x4 - stock - 70,000 Miles

When I bought my truck 10k miles ago it needed new tie rods and ball joints.

I went ahead replaced the tie rods and ball joints because my truck wonders all over the road. Now that I replaced them it still has a slight wonder to it. between about 11:55 and 12:05 position of the wheel it feels like it not turning. You know how you turn a sharp corner and let go of the wheel it turns back and goes basically straight? Well my truck goes back to the 11:55 position and I have to turn it back right to straighten up.

I also noticed that the when sitting on flat pavement its harder to turn right then left. I also noticed when I was intalling my EGT gauge my brake master cylinder (i think some call a booster?) was leaking. I heard this can cause issues.

I crawled under the truck and had someone turn the wheel between the 11:55 and 12:05 position. All the tie rods are tight, I did feel a clunk when I put my hand on the inner tie rod shaft. I looked at the steering gear housing and the pitman arm shaft seem to clunk and almost have play. I went to the top and noticed a jam nut and a allen headed bolt. I thought it was a adjustment so I moved it in 3 turns but it did not make a difference.

So what do ya all think?

im going golfing so lets hope it don't fall off on my way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM

After driving it I noticed that it still wants to wander around after adjusting the top allen head bolt. But my steering is harder to turn at speed.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 AM

After doing some digging I think my steering gear has gone bad.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 AM

It sure sounds like your steering box (gear) is bad. Ford had some issues with them. I've had a bunch of them in my truck including one that was bad when we installed it. The good news is that they made some sort of change (or at least they changed the part number) and the last one I put in has about 100k on it and it's just starting to feel a little sloppy. On thing that you might want to try is backing that adjustment off. You'll still have the play in the box but it'll return to center the way it's supposed to and some of the wander will go away. If you replace it you might want to think about a NAPA box. I don't have any first hand experience with them but they have a lifetime guaranty.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
It sure sounds like your steering box (gear) is bad. Ford had some issues with them. I've had a bunch of them in my truck including one that was bad when we installed it. The good news is that they made some sort of change (or at least they changed the part number) and the last one I put in has about 100k on it and it's just starting to feel a little sloppy. On thing that you might want to try is backing that adjustment off. You'll still have the play in the box but it'll return to center the way it's supposed to and some of the wander will go away. If you replace it you might want to think about a NAPA box. I don't have any first hand experience with them but they have a lifetime guaranty.
Thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.