Test drove an '01...need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Test drove an '01...need advice

I just looked at an '01 PSD on a local dealer's lot tonight and have some mixed feelings, but I'm wondering if I'm just being paranoid. I've never bought a vehicle this new or this expensive before, so making $20K mistake scares the hell out of me. The truck is a 2001 Black/tan Supercab Shortbed 4x4 Lariat with 69,350 miles. Overall the paint is nice, interior is clean, etc...according to Carfax it spent time in Upstate New York and Michigan, but the underbody seemed to be in very good shape except for some rust on the inside of the passenger door.

The passenger side door lock doesn't work with the keyless entry, which I'm sure is a minor fix and it needs tires. The thing that struck me the most was that the emergency brake light in the lower right corner of the dash would not go out no matter how many times I pulled the release. As soon as I put the truck into drive the seatbelt chime started to off. Both me and the salesguy had our belts on, the doors were both closed, etc...but it would not go off. I finally pulled into a parking lot to pull the parking brake release one more time but no dice. We drove back to the dealership and I told him to have it looked at and I'd come back on Saturday.

Another thing I want to ask about is how it sounded when it started up. When I turned the key to on the wait to start light popped on and off in about 30 seconds I guess. It took longer than I thought it would to turn over after that, and when it did start it "surged" about 3 or 4 times as if someone was stabbing the pedal quickly and taking their foot off right away. Is that normal? Now keep in mind that we've been seeing temps anywhere from the single digits to the teens here all week and this truck hadn't been plugged in or anything. I checked the weather when I got home and it was 20 degrees F/8 with wind chill.

Eventually the idle evened out and came down a bit, then it jumped to high idle for a while. When it was high idling the exhaust sounded like a hissing leaf blower on steroids which I'm assuming was due to the EBPV. Once we got going it seemed a little sluggish until I really put the power on which I guess was also the EBPV, but it felt like it pulled hard when I got on the pedal. Anyway, I plan to hit a bunch of dealerships on Saturday morning and I want to go back and look at this one also. Does anyone see any red flags from what I described here? Now for the price. They're asking $22,800 which I think is a little ridiculous. If you average the book values from NADA, Kelly, and Edmunds the price comes out to $21,500 first of all. Second, the tires are on their last legs, the passenger side lock doesn't work, and there is a little rust on the inside of the passenger door. What do you think a good price would be? I figure the max I can spend is $19,500, so I was thinking of offering them that. Am I gonna get laughed at? Should I even bother going back to look at this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Stock 7.3s always feel sluggish, the rust and the door locks are a common problem on the 99-01s. your right, it's probably the EBPV making the hissing sound. The brakes probably need work, or the switch is out of adjustment, did the brakes seem to work well? The wait to start light doesn't really work with the glow plugs, they can be on for up to 90 seconds, despite however long the light is on. Tell them to fix the small problems and make sure the e brake works, put new tires and brake shoes on it and offer them what you feel comfortable with, and start bargaining from there. If it hasn't run for awhile, sometimes diesels search on start up and then level out, but shouldn't do it after warm up. Good luck.

Gord.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 AM
The Fat Mod

The e-brake on these has a little rubber piece on the peddle that puhes in the button that hits the switch. That rubber peice may have been gone, or out of alignment. Thats probably not a big deal. I am sure they sprayed the underside with black paint or something to cover rust. If it has rust on the door, I am sure it is all over the underside. Tires and things like that would def have to be replaced, and make sure they put some BFGs or something on instead of some cheap knock offs that you would have to change out anyway. Get them to fix the locks too, and anyother problems that it has. Price, I would say around 19k. There are many more trucks out there, dont get you heart set on the first one. Also when you find one that you like, or a couple, get some Oasis reports done on here and check its history. Since you are a premium member, that is one of the perks. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 AM
one day at a time

Just my opinion, but there are lots of trucks out there. I'd be patient and wait for another to come along. First of all they're jacking the price up on a truck that they obviously haven't checked out thoroughly. Sure they'll take a lot less and pretend you're snapping their arm off... A reputable dealer wouldn't stick something with that many minor problems on the lot for a potential buyer to pick away at. The salesman may tell you some BS line about how that would be easy to take care of, this and that... In my experience the good dealers check out their vehicles and fix any minor problems before they hit the lot. After all this kind of stuff affects their reputations, and that's a lot in the car business. I wouldn't worry too much about the cold starting. If it sat a while in the cold weather that could be expected. If you really do like the truck, do as logan said and get an oasis from one of the guys on here. Check out several trucks as well. Get oasis' on all of 'em. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind running several for you seeing as you're looking to buy. Least they can do since you're helping support the site.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrs3633 View Post
There are many more trucks out there, dont get you heart set on the first one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Just my opinion, but there are lots of trucks out there. I'd be patient and wait for another to come along.
You guys are killin me...lol It's really tough now because when I was in college and poor I'd look at trucks and know I had no money. Now that I'm working and I found a good lender its burnin' a hole in my pocket!!! Seriously though you're right. I'm going to look at a bunch this weekend but I'm not buying ANYTHING. I'm taking down VIN numbers and coming right back here to do a Carfax and an Oasis report on every last one.

As for the one I just looked at, even if they totally rehabbed the locks, e-brake problem, and tires you'd say $19K would be a fair price? It's hard for me to tell because it just seems like the prices I've seen are really inconsistent. For example I'm going to look at a couple of trucks at a smaller dealership this weekend that supposedly have anywhere from 70-80K on them that are '00-'01 Supercabs, 4x4, etc... The price I saw advertised in Autotrader was $18,500. At other dealers I've seen basically the same trucks priced anywhere from $22-25K. I also feel like some dealers are exploiting the relative rarity of a low mileage 7.3L that's not beat to hell and are jacking the price up a little figuring that they'll get someone to buy eventually. All in all its a new process for me because I'm used to shelling out $4K or $5K cash for a gasser pickup with high miles that I know will need some work. Regardless, I wouldn't even think about buying a PSD if not for this site. I checked out of few of the other Ford sites once I settled on buying a diesel and not one of them was as helpful as this one.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:29 AM

That price is high for my area, but may be right for yours. There are used diesels on most of the lots around here. I gave $18,500 for my 02 about 3 or 4 months ago which is the same basic truck that your looking at and it had 66,000 miles on it. It also had the lift, tires, intake, and guages on it. But like I said, different areas have diferent prices.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

You waited this long, no point in rushing into it now buddy, don't want to start out as a Lemon farmer first off hahaha. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

Gord.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Sounds a bit high! I bought my truck in Nov for 19,500 pretty close to the same truck except its an XLT had 73,000 miles and its spotless. They wanted 22,800 talked them down some! Make sure you check out the oil pan underneath if its been in salt country as that is a problem area with rust and you have to pull the engine to replace it! I am going to have to do some work to mine here shortly. Seems like your doing the right thing keep looking and run oasis and car fax reports you will find the right one
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I just looked at an '01 PSD on a local dealer's lot tonight and have some mixed feelings, but I'm wondering if I'm just being paranoid. I've never bought a vehicle this new or this expensive before, so making $20K mistake scares the hell out of me. The truck is a 2001 Black/tan Supercab Shortbed 4x4 Lariat with 69,350 miles. Overall the paint is nice, interior is clean, etc...according to Carfax it spent time in Upstate New York and Michigan, but the underbody seemed to be in very good shape except for some rust on the inside of the passenger door.

The passenger side door lock doesn't work with the keyless entry, which I'm sure is a minor fix and it needs tires. The thing that struck me the most was that the emergency brake light in the lower right corner of the dash would not go out no matter how many times I pulled the release. As soon as I put the truck into drive the seatbelt chime started to off. Both me and the salesguy had our belts on, the doors were both closed, etc...but it would not go off. I finally pulled into a parking lot to pull the parking brake release one more time but no dice. We drove back to the dealership and I told him to have it looked at and I'd come back on Saturday.

Another thing I want to ask about is how it sounded when it started up. When I turned the key to on the wait to start light popped on and off in about 30 seconds I guess. It took longer than I thought it would to turn over after that, and when it did start it "surged" about 3 or 4 times as if someone was stabbing the pedal quickly and taking their foot off right away. Is that normal? Now keep in mind that we've been seeing temps anywhere from the single digits to the teens here all week and this truck hadn't been plugged in or anything. I checked the weather when I got home and it was 20 degrees F/8 with wind chill.

Eventually the idle evened out and came down a bit, then it jumped to high idle for a while. When it was high idling the exhaust sounded like a hissing leaf blower on steroids which I'm assuming was due to the EBPV. Once we got going it seemed a little sluggish until I really put the power on which I guess was also the EBPV, but it felt like it pulled hard when I got on the pedal. Anyway, I plan to hit a bunch of dealerships on Saturday morning and I want to go back and look at this one also. Does anyone see any red flags from what I described here? Now for the price. They're asking $22,800 which I think is a little ridiculous. If you average the book values from NADA, Kelly, and Edmunds the price comes out to $21,500 first of all. Second, the tires are on their last legs, the passenger side lock doesn't work, and there is a little rust on the inside of the passenger door. What do you think a good price would be? I figure the max I can spend is $19,500, so I was thinking of offering them that. Am I gonna get laughed at? Should I even bother going back to look at this one?
The price is high. All the things you listed are minor fixes that I would have them fix, if you decide to do the deal. The EBPV is a power sucker and a noise maker when it is closed but, it warms the truck up fast and when it opens you'll feel the torque. My E brake light did the same thing and all I had to do was clean the switch.
I also get that "surge" when I start it up at very cold temps. Just touch the accelerator and it will go away.
If they fixed all the problems, installed new tires, and cleaned it up real well, I would give them 19000 if the rust is minor and in only that one spot. It has low miles and is a lariat so your resale will be good down the road.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Priced too high. I just bought a spotless 02 4x4 ex cab with 86k for 18,999.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.